Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:45 AM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road
Default Speaker Recommendation

Well, I'm down to just the one speaker on the passenger door, so I think it is time for me to get a new set. What is good, but won't cost an arm and a leg? Considering just going to a salvage yard and grabbing some on the cheap. If I do this is there a way to test them at the yard?

Rockauto seems to only have AC Delco and they are $50 each... I'm a college student, I can't justify spending $200 for car audio.

Any brands to stay away from? Any real good ones that are affordable? What should I look for in a new set?

Found these at best buy, would they work if I bought 2 sets?

Last edited by LuckyAce; 02-25-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:10 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Just find some cheap speakers online if you are only looking to put sound back in. Something in the lower watt/rms scale is going to perform better for you if your running it off the factory headunit. Using speakers from a junk yard won't save you much over just buying online or even something from say Walmart especially if you consider your time in the equation.

Front Door: 6-3/4"
Dash: 4" x 6"
Back door: 6-3/4"

Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Starting Member
LuckyAce is on a distinguished road

What range should I shoot for in RMS and Watts? I still have the factory radio. I'd like to get something similar or maybe slightly better than the stock set up.

Something below 'X' what's X?

Old 03-06-2018, 04:46 PM
Beginning Member
Rhettsterhhhh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LuckyAce
What range should I shoot for in RMS and Watts? I still have the factory radio. I'd like to get something similar or maybe slightly better than the stock set up.

Something below 'X' what's X?
Go with something around 20 watts RMS per speaker. You should be just fine as long as you're not looking for big sound.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:21 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

I've always been a Rockford Fosgate fan myself, but I also don't leave the factory stereo in ANY of my vehicles lol. I'm a bit of an audiophile...

But quite honestly, if you're running the factory radio and don't want to break the bank, just grab a set of the Pioneer speakers off the shelf at Walmart and rock on. They don't usually have a high wattage rating and pair nicely with the lower output of a factory radio and will sound decent enough. I would never run them in my vehicle, but that's partly because I would just smoke them as soon as I turned up the volume since I'm running a fully amplified 4 channel system :P well, 6 channel if you count the 2 subwoofer channels

Old 03-18-2018, 09:35 PM
Maverick338369 is on a distinguished road

Mind if I ask a question on top of that one here guys?

Old 03-20-2018, 05:47 PM
N. Jensen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Maverick338369
Mind if I ask a question on top of that one here guys?
What do you have for us, Maverick?

Old 03-20-2018, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Rockford fosgate here

Old 03-20-2018, 08:59 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by newguy
Rockford fosgate here
Components in the doors, subs and amp in the back. Wouldn't have it any other way

My old 01 Corolla got the same love

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 03-20-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:02 PM
Maverick338369 is on a distinguished road

Has anyone used jbl club 6 1/2s? Crutchfield recommended them to me . I have lanzar max 3 ways now powered by a pioneer gm d1004 4 channel amp and they're crappin out on me. Would the jbls really be worth the money? They're 2 way coaxials and I plan to replace the lanzar 2 way 4x6s in the dash with regular tweeters . And can somebody please tell me how the front door and dash speakers are wired into the factory harness? Would I be better leaving them like they are or run the door speakers off of the amp and maybe run the tweeters off of the head unit?

Quick Reply: Speaker Recommendation