Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker upgrade 2001 blazer.

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2020 | 05:50 PM
|
Starting Member
ussexplorer is on a distinguished road
Default Speaker upgrade 2001 blazer.

So I finally replaced the factory speakers. Glue was gone and the little caps and or cone was off. Also one of them was so bad. It just didn't work at all. I started with that one. not sure if it was the wire between the door or the body. But it was just the speaker. I do find it interesting on the first gen blazer. The speakers was in great shape. Even for factory speakers. But this 2nd gen was garbage. So enjoy the 2001 speaker replacement. I got a component for the front and coaxial in the back. I have not done the tweeters yet.
A few things I ran into. I don't think the back doors is a 6.5" speaker. A place in town have larger and thicker rings. I was able to get two screws in and then use a piece of metal (can be seen in the picture.) to secure a third screw. I did have to use spacers on all 4 speakers due to the depth of the speakers. The back door speaker spacers needed to be out farther than the front. Anyway I also had some problem with the door clips. All 4 door sucked for installing clips. But the 2 back doors seem to be smaller clips. Maybe it was just me. But they was different color and seemed to have a smaller round circle plastic top.
For anybody who is interested I used nvx speaker kit. Included 4 speakers and 2 tweeters with cross overs. 2 coax speakers for the back door and 2 component for the front doors. Then of course you have the tweeters in the front speaker dash grills. Plus I get to shove 2 cross over some place. I'll get pictures of that when I to them. Enjoy the pics, Josh

Old 05-17-2020 | 07:08 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

I have 2001 2 door and replaced the rear speakers two years ago now working thru the fronts. Waiting on the new spacers from Crutchfield and then will complete the task.

New speakers in the rear really highlight how blown the stock Bose are/were.

Old 05-17-2020 | 08:57 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Great speaker choice. If I wasn't a die-hard Rockford fan, NVX or CT Sounds would have been my next choice

You plan on putting the tweeters in the factory location up on the dash, or something a little more custom?

On my old door panels I flush mounted my tweeters into the door panels just in front of the handles. Almost looked factory, and sounded great. When I installed my Diamond Edition interior, I couldn't bring myself to drill holes in the immaculate door panels... so I just relocated them to the factory spots up on the dash...

Don't mind the fact that these are JL tweeters... it's just what I had laying around when I got the truck... They got swapped for a set of Rockfords lol

Old 05-18-2020 | 07:36 PM
|
Starting Member

Just going to replace the existing ones. Though I did find it interesting that the system in my Grandprix. The tweeters are in the upper part of the door panel in the front. So I could see why the placement are yours is working great. Instead of having it up in the dash. At one time I was thinking of getting fatty bass speakers for the front doors. Then coax for the dash. TTFN, Josh

Old 05-18-2020 | 08:46 PM

I think the system actually sounded better with them in the door panels. Could have just been a placebo effect because it was custom lol. But I'm guessing it was because they were closer to the mid drivers, which is most ideal with components. Or it could be that the windshield just reflects TOO much treble from the tweeters firing at them, which was probably fine with the factory tweeter's output. But now with the Rockford tweeters in the factory locations up on the dash, I have to really tone down the higher frequencies or they're just overwhelming...

I put coaxes in the dash of my fathers old Sonoma, sounded pretty good. But it was also just a single cab and it just had those and some coax speakers in the doors for sound. There was a short period where I had him convinced to let me put a small 8" in a sealed box behind the seat. I think it sounded GREAT, really made the sound system come alive by giving it some more low end. But then the next time I got in the truck I found that he turned the bass so far down that it was hardly doing anything. I asked him why and he said it was just too much lol. And I only just had it tuned for pure sound clarity through all the frequencies, not a ton of bass. But he's old lol

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 05-18-2020 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2020 | 09:53 PM
|
Starting Member

I did the tweeters and put in the cross over that came in the nvx kit. Had room to mount them behind the stereo. Anyway I had to make new holders for the tweeters. No pictures yet. Used heavy duty plastic from a recycled medical clip folder. Anyway since the tweeters was 1" and adjustable. It was a easy install. I'll get pictures when I get my new replacement grills. One was already shattered when I fixed the head light sensor. You know the brittle plastic. So when I get those replacement I'll try to snap some pics. TTFN, Josh

Old 05-26-2020 | 09:13 AM

Yeah every time I have to touch those grills, they need to be replaced lol. Between changing speakers and pulling the dash to replace the heater core, I think I've put 3 or 4 sets in my 04...

Old 06-05-2020 | 08:13 AM
|
Starting Member
Default Final Update with tweeters.

Final update. Pictures of the tweeters. Stupid me ordered the wrong color of grills. But it works. First of all I got a dash mat and 2nd they match the door switch covers. For some reason in the charcoal interior. They use black door switch bezels. Anyway It works. Enjoy the pictures.

Josh

Old 06-16-2020 | 11:44 AM
okiebezer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 2001ZR2
I have 2001 2 door and replaced the rear speakers two years ago now working thru the fronts. Waiting on the new spacers from Crutchfield and then will complete the task.

New speakers in the rear really highlight how blown the stock Bose are/were.
I have a 2001 GMC Jimmy 4wd with the stock radio/CD. I don't plan on radio replacement as it does what I need it to do, but speaker replacement is on my short list. The right front passenger sounds like it's blown, a lot of rattling on bass. Can't really tell if the rear speakers are working. I know front dash are the 4" x 6", but I've seen differences noted on the front door panels and rear speakers. Rears appear to be 6" x 9" based on the factory grill cover. I've seen posts stating 5", 5.25", 6" and 6.5" on front and 5.5" or 6" x 9" on rear. I am 99.9% sure mine has stock everything as I purchased from the second owner.

Any guidance on the stock speaker sizes (and depths) and what you used for your project? Any surprises you encountered when doing the swap? Pleased with results?

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-16-2020 | 06:18 PM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

Ok remember I have a 2 door Blazer with the Bose system. I used 6.5" JBL 6500 GTO speakers in the back and like them a lot.

For the front I have a component system that had woofers in the doors which were 6.75" which I replaced with Rockford Fosgate 6.5 which are oversize so I had to change out the speaker holder but increase the opening from 5.25" to 5.5".
Mounting the tweeter had to make a new piece to hold them in the cradle.

Tweeters are bit hard to hear in front so the change is kinda meh.

Your 4 door will be different but you should consider what speakers you get especially the Ohm rating too low and you will burn out the amplifier in the in stock radio.

I think Rock Auto sell actual OEM speakers if you want them.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade 2001 blazer.