Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speaker wire... Does quality matter?

Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Speaker wire... Does quality matter?

While wiring my car, I am shopping for speaker wire. Can i just go to home depot, buy a few long stands of red and black wires, twist them up and run them? Or is it actually worth it to buy the high price stinger or whatever brand wire? Thanks

Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Speaker wire... Does quality matter?

well, higher end wire will have better conductivity, strenghth, and flex. What are you wiring up, subs, door speakers? and what kind of power?

Old 02-19-2008, 08:37 PM

Speakers... 75w rms per speaker

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

just go to walmart and get yourself a spool of 16ga wire. you will NEVER need anything larger for door speakers.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:09 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Bobditts I'm honestly suprised! You're always recommending top notch stuff no matter what the budget...what'd your door speakers do to you to lose your love

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 PM

ORIGINAL: bobditts

just go to walmart and get yourself a spool of 16ga wire. you will NEVER need anything larger for door speakers.
Not talking about ga... but quality for sq??? Does the expensive stuff ACTUALLY sound better or is it just hype?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 PM

I guarantee you that you will NEVER hear a sonic difference between walmart wire and super expensive wire of the same guage. I personally use 4con and 2con house speaker wire in my car but that is because I got it for free.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

its just hype

or......better get the pure gold knu koncepts at $500/foot....sorry bobditts...someone had to

Old 02-19-2008, 10:33 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

i used speedwire for my door speakers. its 9 wires ( 4pairs +/- and a remote wire) bundled together in a casing thats a little larger than a 4awg wire. the outer casing isVERY thick and thereis a foil layer between the outer casing and the inner wires.i ran it from the amp back up to the HU and connected to the speaker wires coming out of the radio. Stinger makes it but it is pretty expensive. the stuff i got was on eBay and it was about $25. MUCH easier than re-wiring the doors.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 PM

the "speedwire" is knows as 9con. Its ggod stuff if you want to utilize the stock speaker wires behind the deck to your amps which are hopefully in one location.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Speaker wire... Does quality matter?