Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speakers Blew Out

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 09:58 PM
EricR is on a distinguished road
Default Speakers Blew Out

So the speakers in my rear doors blew. I'm looking to replace them and I'm thinking of going with Sony Xplod just because they are decent and are for a good price. I'm not looking to upgrade or anything just want to get something in there. Is there anything I need to be worried about in regards to wattage, ohms, stuff like that? I'm new to working with sound systems in cars.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:05 PM
Defiant is on a distinguished road

I believe that the stock speakers that come in the Blazers rear are run at 8ohm, most aftermarket speakers that you can pick up will runn at 4ohm. Im not sure if this will create problems with the stock head unit, if you have an aftermarket one then you shouldn't worry about it because most should be 4ohm stable.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:37 AM

Yeah I read something on some forum about that but I couldn't understand it because to be honest I don't even know what it means. The speakers I was looking at where 4 Ohm, I couldn't even find any online that where 8. I guess if something happens I'll be on my way to the junk yard for parts.

Old 12-30-2011, 12:50 AM

I dunno man I wouldnt risk it if your using the stock radio. There is a reason they put 8ohm speakers in there, my guess is it is because the small amp built into the factory radio isn't 4ohm stable. If you wire them in there then you will more than likely drastically reduce the life of the head unit, that is IF your not running an aftermarket head unit. IF you are running an aftermarket head unit then you don't really have anything to worry about. I do know from experience that a buddy of mine tried to hook up a 4ohm speaker to a home amplifier that was only rated to use 8ohm speakers and it ended up blowing up his amp. I'm just taking a stab in the dark on this, if anybody else knows for sure it will work and be fine on the stock head unit then please correct me.

Last edited by Defiant; 12-30-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:47 AM

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I found some 8 Ohm ones on Amazon. Also the speakers that I took out actually said 9.5 Ohm on the back, unless I misread it?

Edit: Never mind they were just woofers. Damn Chevy for putting in hard products to find haha. On the flip side if I do have to replace the head unit with an aftermarket one will I need to replace the front speakers too? Those being 8 Ohm also I'm assuming?

Darn I kind of liked the progressive stereo getting louder as there was more noise.

Last edited by EricR; 12-30-2011 at 08:17 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:22 PM

No, you shouldn't need to replace the fronts, from what I have read the door and dash speakers are both 4ohm and since they are wired together on each side the stereo see's them as 8ohm. It wont hurt your radio running higher ohm speakers then what the head unit can handle, if you go lower that is where you start having problems. Im running stock speakers on a sony head unit and they sound fine.

Old 12-30-2011, 11:48 PM

Awesome thats good to know. I was able to get some 8 Ohm from Blazers in the junk yard. Had to rip out about 7 or 8 to find 3 that actually worked so I have at least one spare. Forgot to bring a battery with me so I didn't really have a way of testing them but they are in and working great. Thanks for all the help.

Old 12-31-2011, 06:34 PM

Not a problem EricR, glad you were able to get them fixed, it would drive me nuts running with blown speakers.