Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which speakers to buy....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 12:18 PM
Beginning Member
nitsudredle is on a distinguished road
Talking which speakers to buy....

I'm trying to figure out which speakers to buy. I'm trying to spend less than or right at a hundred a pair. Running off pioneer h/u. Not trying to add an amp to save on cost. Any advice?

Old 05-30-2012, 12:59 PM
Beginning Member
Striker911 is on a distinguished road

Jensen : )

Old 05-30-2012, 03:46 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Why dont you get a good set of components and an amp for the front? Thats going to give you the most improvement for your money. No one ever sits in my back seats and my set of amped Infinitys up front do more than enough for me and I listen to all kinds of music. Just my 2 cents

Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member

OK so upon further research I changed plans. I like your idea of components up front with an amp and I happen to have a 2x75 amp. But now I need a new sub amp with 400 to 500 watts at 4 ohms. And I'm not very fond of the infinity's a buddy is telling me about hertz audio ever heard of them? Or hifonics?

Old 05-30-2012, 11:52 PM

Ive heard of hertz ive never heard music from them or anything tho. I love my infinitys but its just a preference.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:08 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

The market is quite literally flooded with options on both items. It really comes down to what you're willing to spend for either one and how much quality you're willing to give up for the lowest price. I personally wouldn't skimp on either, but not everyone has the preferences I do so that really doesn't matter. THESE Incriminator Audio components are well reviewed and while I haven't had personal experience with them I do trust the word of the guys I've talked to who have used them. As for the new sub amp I think THIS Boston Acoustics amp would do very nicely. It delivers a clean and solid 400wrms at 4 ohms when it's bridged. Then in the future when/if you upgrade again it can be a very solid, more powerful amp to run a nice set of components with.

BTW Hertz is a good brand that makes some very high end equipment. I've used Hifonics equipment with fair results. I guess all of it was worth the money I paid, but the performance definitely didn't exceed the price I paid. Again, I would personally stay away from Hifonics, but that's my personal opinion. In the car audio hobby a person rarely ever gets performance above the level they paid for. If you find something nice and don't have the money right then and there you're really better off saving up for it than settling for whatever you can afford at that moment. You're generally money ahead in the long run by doing so.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 05-31-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:48 PM

Another list of good products that seem to fit the bill for you.

Alpine SPS-610C 6.5" Component set
- I've listened to several of these sets installed and they sound quite nice for their cost.

VIBE Audio Black Air 6V2 6.5" Component set - While I've never heard them in person I just have on good account from a couple of people they sound real good and get fairly loud.

If you were to expand your budget for them a bit a whole slew of options would be available.

Pioneer GM-5500T Amplifier - Pretty standard little amp, price is right tho.

Massive Audio NX2 - Heavy duty little amp here, especially for it's size and the money. It's rated 480 bridged into 4 ohms.

PowerBass ASA800.2x - Even if this one doesn't do the power it's rated it should meet your power requirements with a bit of headroom, and that's a good thing especially for this price.

Here's just a few more options to consider. Like I said, for what you're wanting there's a list a mile long of products. The majority of which should be kept away from because they're worse than sub-standard, but there's plenty of good ones out there too. Everything I've listed are products I've either used or wouldn't be afraid of buying for the prices I found them at. I still think the Boston amp would be the best choice tho, especially for that price.

Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 AM

You might want to go visit any local audio shops and listen to what they have there and see if anything you like falls into your budget. I wouldnt buy from them because obviously you can find much better prices offline

Old 06-01-2012, 07:04 AM
Beginning Member

I'm running a hifonics to my subs now. I like it but I have never tried to go this deep into car audio. So I guess I should have started with I'm currently running an older model pioneer hu, hifonics son of Thor bridged 250x1 at 4 ohms, and two Memphis pr10's

Budget is the key here. I'm literally trying to do this with plasma donations. But I was looking to move my amp to the doors giving me 75 watts a door. Btw the speakers you put up looked awesome. And I wanted a new sub amp because my two can handle 500 vs my 250.

Would it be worth it to find an amp that does let's say 450 at 4 ohms and 800 at two ohms for a much later sub upgrade?

Last question I'm definitely doing my doors first so should I go ahead and amp the doors and run without subs till I find a new sub amp?

(P.s. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber.)

I have visited my local car stereo shops. But they just built up the big names like kicker JL audio Rockford and alpine. All of which I think are over rated and some are over priced. But I do like alpine as that's all my uncle buys. And his sounded amazing. But I'm really curious to hear the hertz.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nitsudredle
I'm running a hifonics to my subs now. I like it but I have never tried to go this deep into car audio. So I guess I should have started with I'm currently running an older model pioneer hu, hifonics son of Thor bridged 250x1 at 4 ohms, and two Memphis pr10's

Budget is the key here. I'm literally trying to do this with plasma donations. But I was looking to move my amp to the doors giving me 75 watts a door. Btw the speakers you put up looked awesome. And I wanted a new sub amp because my two can handle 500 vs my 250.

Would it be worth it to find an amp that does let's say 450 at 4 ohms and 800 at two ohms for a much later sub upgrade?

Last question I'm definitely doing my doors first so should I go ahead and amp the doors and run without subs till I find a new sub amp?

(P.s. I'm a sucker for carbon fiber.)

I have visited my local car stereo shops. But they just built up the big names like kicker JL audio Rockford and alpine. All of which I think are over rated and some are over priced. But I do like alpine as that's all my uncle buys. And his sounded amazing. But I'm really curious to hear the hertz.
That Hifonics amp is a classic amp. If you decide to stop using it you definitely shouldn't get rid of it. It was made back in the day when Hifonics equipment was really something nice and the amps were built by ZED which is STILL one of the only companies that truly builds the amps here in america and builds REALLY good equipment.

The Boston amp will give you 400wrms bridged into 4 ohms and 600 bridged into 2 ohms, one of the few 2 channel amps out there that can handle a load like that. If you're really looking at moving up in real power then a good mono block will be the answer and the sky is the limit on options. Options within your limited budget however does limit the list substantially. I do agree that you need to concentrate on your doors first. Get a good set of components, run them on that Hifonics amp and concentrate on the installation. Make sure the install is as good as it can be by mounting the mids in some good solid baffles, installing sound deadening and getting the most out of that part of the install. Then worry about how much you need out of your subs.

Another nice thing about an amp like that Boston is that you won't need a bunch of electrical upgrades to run something in that power range. I've heard plenty of lower powered setups that really get plenty loud enough for almost anyone and didn't require a ton of money to build. My sister's build in her Durango is a prime example. She's got a Cadence F100-5 running a set of PG RSD 6.5's in the front doors, JBL 2 way coax's in the rear doors and a single 12" SSA DCON in an optimal enclosure. That setup was minimal in cost yet rivals many system's I've heard that cost 2 and 3 times as much money. That single 12 is absolutely amazing in that enclosure which brings me to my next point. Before worrying about changing up to big power in an amp and more or bigger subs you should definitely make sure you've gotten everything you possibly can from the Memphis subs. You didn't mention any details about the enclosure they're in but you could very well get more from with a new custom built enclosure.

There's a ton of ways to go about upgrades and changes, as with anything. I completely understand playing on a limited budget, it's tough and it used to be a big disappointment for me not being able to get and do the things I wanted to in this hobby. There's options out there and ways to do things that can let a person on a very limited budget still build a great setup and impress people. It just takes a little more time and attention to detail to do so. If you're willing to do that, I'd be glad to help you along the way.

Quick Reply: which speakers to buy....