Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Speakers in the hatch?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
I was talked out of putting tweeters and mids in all 4 pillars (hatch, behind rear seats, between rear and front seats)

So I'm pretty sure it's not a good idea.

not that you will hear the hatch speakers with the front speakers playing anyway...but if you have them level matched, you will probably notice the difference

I can't even hear the rear door components with the fronts at the same gain.
its not all about what you hear in the drivers seat when you have passengers in the back seat the 6x9's and door speakers sound really good together, plus in the front you are hearing 4 speakers as well if you have 4x6's in the dash. and if you are ever hanging outside of your truck open up the hatch the 6x9's really produce some sound to listen to outside of your car.

you can put 6x9's in the hatch. its a tight fit but it works. you will know a difference when you put them in. just make sure you get some strong speaker grills so your speakers don't get all beat up from stuff you might put in the trunk.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:16 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 96jimmyslt4x4
There is a reason people care so much about 10ms monitors vs 5ms and 2ms, etc...
I wouldn't bring eyes into this whole equation, seeing as the eyes and ears are completely different. You know, the whole light traveling faster than sound thing?

Old 06-29-2011, 11:48 PM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

I am not sure what you guys mean by "hatch"

Are we talking the non-moving pillars next to the window, or the bottom tailgate that opens after you open the window?

The dash speakers are too over powered, placement-wise, I took them out, and gave them to my dad in his truck (which sound great, btw) polk db461's

And about the ear/eye comparison, it's relevant.

If you are worried about listening to music outside of the vehicle when it's parked, I would HIGHLY recommend separate amps hooked up to toggle switches, and either external speakers (outdoor speakers would work great, they have mounting brackets) or boxed 6x9/4x6/5.5/6.5's that you can position to point towards where you will be standing/sitting, etc.

Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by davedidit
if you can hear 9.0168 =milliseconds
you must have super human powers

not wanting to start a ongoing thread war I just wanted to put the facts
you build your system your way and I will build them the way I like them
just stating the raw FACT'S:icon_deadhors e:
It doesn't take super human powers to perceive the 9ms difference(notice I didn't say HEAR). That 9ms difference is enough to skew the stage and imaging from the front. Talk to someone who lives and breathes SQ competition and they'll tell you that 9ms out is unacceptable, hell in my own vehicle none of my time alignment adjustments are over 5ms. Now it's true that MOST people don't have the experience to notice when the sound stage or imaging aren't correct, but that's only because they're not accustomed to listening to anything that has great staging or imaging. The first time you listen to a system with great staging and imaging you'll know it. You'll hear the band directly in front of you as though you're right there with them, hear ambiance's in the room, breathing, rustling of clothing. You'll be able to pick out each instrument that is playing and it's position in the band within the room or on the stage, even the types of instruments that are playing. Those things are possible but not without work, dedication and attention to the little details. Most people are plenty happy with the ignorant bliss of listening to the music from all around them and that's fine there's nothing wrong with it, but some like it to sound exactly as it did when it was recorded and saying that 9ms is imperceptible is definitely wrong, that's all I'm getting at.

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
its not all about what you hear in the drivers seat when you have passengers in the back seat the 6x9's and door speakers sound really good together, plus in the front you are hearing 4 speakers as well if you have 4x6's in the dash. and if you are ever hanging outside of your truck open up the hatch the 6x9's really produce some sound to listen to outside of your car.
Actually, if you own the vehicle and are the driver, it is all about what you hear in the drivers seat, isn't it. Isn't that why we go through the trouble of upgrading the audio equipment in the first place?

The point is everyone likes what they like and do it the way they think sounds best to them. To say that putting speakers in the back is the only way it will sound good is wrong, so is saying that it's wrong to do it. How it sounds is FAR too subjective to argue about, that's for certain.

Old 06-30-2011, 06:59 PM
davedidit is on a distinguished road

hey I love havin 6x9's in the back hatch
and that's all that matters
and that's all I have to say
the install was ez
and it can be done in a couple hours
so if you are thinking about 6x9's in the back hatch do it
or at least think about how good your system would sound havin them babk their

Old 07-02-2011, 07:25 PM
davedidit is on a distinguished road