Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Stereo system suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 03:55 PM
pinkfloydx25 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Stereo system suggestions?

I have a 2000 Chevy Blazer LS 2 door. The guy who had it before me blew out the dash and a midpanel speaker = HORRIBLE sound!

Was wondering if any of you had any tips as to what to put in? Thinking about keeping the Delco unit, just need speakers.

Also any hints as to how to get the midpanel and door panels off....easily?

Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Beginning Member
Hotfingers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Stereo system suggestions?

I've got the exact same ride. I put in Alpine S series 4x6's in the dash, 6.5's in the doors, and 6x9's in the back. As far as doing it easy, there's only 1 way to do it. The 4x6's sound way better than the tweeters that were in there. You'll need a right angle screwdriver. I pickedup a ratcheting one at Harbor Freight Tools for like 3 bucks. You'll need to trim the inside of the grill to make it fit. To take off the door panels you need to take off the electric window buttons. Just wiggle it and it'll come out. Then there's the plate where the door opener is that needs to come off and so do the 2 bolts under the door handle. Then just start pulling the panel off but do it carefully. I had to put some spacers inbetween the back of the speaker and the door so it would clear. The rear panels weren't any more difficult, only bigger. From what I remember the seatbelt had to come off. It was a torx head I think. I didn't have one but I used a allen head and it worked just fine. Just remember to be careful pulling off the panels. They are thin and fragile and if you pull too hard it'll crack. I used speaker harnesses for the doors and back speakers but I couldn't find one for the dash speakers so you'll probably have to clip them off. On mine the dark orange was positive and brown negative on the drivers side and dark green was positive and light green was negative on the passenger. Just pay attention to witch wire went in to the positive and negatives on the tweeters you pull out.

Old 12-14-2008, 07:20 PM
pinkfloydx25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks so much! Did NOT expect that thoroughness of an answer that quickly/at all.
I'll get working on that as soon as I figure out the tranny problem! It shifts rather hard from 1st to 2nd before it warms up. Yayy.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Good_Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: pinkfloydx25
I'll get working on that as soon as I figure out the tranny problem! It shifts rather hard from 1st to 2nd before it warms up. Yayy.
When you find out can you let me know? Mine does the exact same thing, but only sometimes. Thanks.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:48 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

mine tranny also does that. I had a mechanic look at it at work and he said the band needs to be replaced. I dont know if its the same for yours or not. If it is its not something that needs to be done right away. It wont do anymore damage by driving it but it will need to be done at some point.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:24 AM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point

I would avoid Alpine Type-S speakers at all costs. They have a tendency to blow from just the head unit's power. Look into Diamond Audio D3 door speakers or if you can find D1s, they're REALLY good for cheap. Sadly the D6 and Hex speakers aren't going to fit your car. [&:]

Old 12-24-2008, 05:45 PM
Starting Member
brokenfish is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not saying your wrong tehfattie I don't know crap about alpine but a stock stereo can blow probabely any mid or hi range speakers. you have to have the right blockers on the speakers pushing bass through a tweeter will kill it, it may take it a little while but it will definately shorten the life. I have rockford punch dash, door, and sub /w 300w for dash 300w for doors and 300w for my sub and have had it for a while. But the guy told me when I baught my dash and doors that the 45w from the HU would kill them if I dont use bass blockers (just a correctly sized capacitor) the stereo shop should be able to get the right ones or tell you what size you need and buy them from radioshack for like $1.50. and my pioneer HU has a built in hi pass filter that does the same thing.

Old 12-24-2008, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

I recommend Rainbow Audio.....amazing equipment

Old 12-25-2008, 04:17 PM
TehFattie is an unknown quantity at this point

If you're using bass blockers and have no subwoofers, you're cheating yourself out of sound and killing your music. Go with components, and then get coaxial 6x9s for the bass.

Diamond's D3 series would be perfect. Type-S speakers just have too much distortion, regardless of what you do to them.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:26 PM
thoffman79 is an unknown quantity at this point

i have RE door speakers 6.5's they are quite loud...plus they have lifetime warrentys so check them out

Quick Reply: Stereo system suggestions?