Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which sub

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:56 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough
Default which sub

2 FI x12's or 2 SSA G-CON 12's with a soundstream TA1.2000 amp?

Old 08-21-2013, 07:38 AM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

That honestly comes down to which fits your budget better. There's not a big enough difference between the two to say one is that much better than the other for any particular application. If you can swing the extra cash and the extra space for the enclosure the GCON will definitely put a big smile on your face. The Fi X is a little cheaper and the enclosure requirement is a little smaller, but it will put the same smile on your face, lol.

I've played with both brands and can say with confidence that neither will disappoint. Just make absolutely certain the enclosure is built to spec with a generous amount of port area and you'll be set. Let me know if you need help with a design once you decide on a sub. I'd be glad to design one for you.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:04 AM

your the one that designed my box for mt MTX's so i was planning on getting that box wrapped in black or chocoal vinyl, because i plan on getting another daily driver when i get a full time job and building a B pillar wall in the blazer. but i want bigger thump right now and would transfer those subs and stuff to the new ride whenever i get it.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM

I don't have my laptop with me right now to look up the specs (I've slept since then, lol) but I remember that now that you mention it. iirc it should be good for either the X or GCON as well. I'll double check the specs when I get back to my laptop tomorrow.

I think you'd be really happy with either sub tho. Seems like you just need to pick which one to try out first.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:33 AM

should i run 0ga, or just 2 or 4, ik ill probly need to atleast do the small ALT upgrade, and big 3. so if i do the big 3 might as well go all 0 >.>

Old 08-22-2013, 01:33 PM

Yep, it would be wise to go ahead and do 1/0. Most good 2kw amps require 200 amps worth of fusing which is outside the ability of 4awg and right at the limit of good 2awg wire. Yeah I think the BIG 3 is an absolute requirement for any aftermarket audio equipment, no matter the size. As for the alt, I would definitely do the AD244 alternator upgrade at a minimum. Considering the fairly modest price of the AD244 upgrade it's a good place to start, then if you have voltage issues you can look at a good HO alt.

I found the specs for the enclosure, and it's great for either sub as previously estimated.

I forgot how clean it came out too. Very nice job on the enclosure!

Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM

considering i had a friend helping with the cuts that hasnt ever used a table saw before XD. but i made it work and didnt go light on the glue... What should i wrap in it. im not one for the carpeted or painted look so only other options is natural and vinyl wrap?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:01 PM

Have you considered using bedliner? I've had great luck with it on my amp rack and I used it on my enclosure for my Jimmy. It's much tougher than vinyl and gives a look that's different from carpet or paint.

I saw a box a little while back that was done with a vinyl wrap that looked like natural hardwood. The guy had it wrapped in a beautiful Cherry with Mahogany inlays where the box had recesses, etc. in it. Very beautiful, I'll see if I can find a picture.

Vinyl can look great but takes some work to do it right. I'd say it just depends on what kind of time and budget you're willing to put to the finishing of the enclosure.

Old 08-22-2013, 07:34 PM

iv seen some with bedliner, not my taste, but does look good for some peoples setups. iv always like cherry and dark cherry wood. tryed talking my mom into getting cehrry wood cabinets, but you know how women are about there kitchen <..>

Old 08-22-2013, 07:36 PM

but im debating on weither i should step up to 1 15 and run it which after tuneing would probly be the same as the 2 12's and FI's subs are well priced together. so yea

Quick Reply: which sub