Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Sub Positioning Conundrum

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Beginning Member
jonnycakes is on a distinguished road
Question Sub Positioning Conundrum

I'm new to this so forgive me if I sound rediculous.

I've recently purchased 2 - 10" JL Audio 10w1v2-4 subs and a Rockford Fosgate R500-1 amp. The subs are currently residing in a dual 10" sealed box. I went with the 2 - 10's based on a love of hard rock, metal, and hardcore music (demanding a quick response from my subs).

Due to the lovely New England weather I haven't had a chance to install yet and yes it's killing me.

My DD is a 2001 Blazer LT 4 Door 4x4. What is the best positioning and location for a sub box in the trunk to give the optimal bass from the drivers seat??

I'm assuming rear firing to bounce the sound off the tailgate and rear glass.
What distance from the tailgate in the trunk is the best place to put the front of the sub? I'm thinking with the back of the sub box flush up against the back seats.

With that setup in mind what about loading in cargo between the sub and the tailgate... in that situation should I than flip the sub around to face front?

I basically don't want to blow up the milk on the way back from the grocery store (or anything I may transport in my trunk...).

I really don't want to sacrifice the functionality of a Blazer for great subwoofer bass and vice versa.

What do you think the happy medium for location is?

Old 03-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

i would have to say once you turn those subs around that you will loose alot of bass. i had two tens in my 86 and i did that and i lost alot of bass.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:01 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

Its really gonna be a personal preference. Put it in and move it around till its what you want. I dont know how much of a difference it will make really... but it will have some effect on it.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 PM
Beginning Member

Which way would kill the bass in a blazer? If you turn them toward front? Or if you turn them toward the tailgate?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:08 PM
Beginning Member

Yeah, I plan on playing with it and trying to find the best spot. I really want/need to use my trunk space also so I'm probably going to lean toward pushing it as far toward my rear seat backs as possible.

Where did you mount your amp 99blaz?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:16 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

I have my sub pointed to the roof. I think the bass gets distributed better that way. and it doesn't mess up the 6x9s that are in the tailgate

Old 03-11-2010, 06:23 PM
PaulO2288 is on a distinguished road

You will have the best sound by faceing it towards the back hatch

Old 03-11-2010, 06:46 PM
99blaz is on a distinguished road

yea facing the back gate is prolly best because if not the back seats will just muffle them. Facing up might not be bad either but Ive never.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:56 PM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

The further the sound waves have to travel, the louder the bass will get. Point them at the back, or at the passenger side of the cargo area.... Oh yeah, don't worry about blowing up the milk LOL It would take ALOT more than 2 subs to even come close lol!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I have 2 L7 12's in a ported box and have them facing the rear. I tried facing them up but they didn't sound nearly as good.

Quick Reply: Sub Positioning Conundrum