Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

which subs.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Steve-o will become famous soon enough
Default which subs.

out of these companys which would would you suggest has the best quality and still has that quality today. SSA, Ascendent Audio, SKAR, Sundown, or Incriminator.

Old 06-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Starting Member
99bblazer99 is on a distinguished road

HDC312 Copper Coil Subwoofer take a look at these. soundqubed is the original audio que

Old 06-16-2013, 12:28 PM

thanks but note i said out of those companys up there.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Take SKAR off the list, period. Kevin has NO idea what he's doing and the specifications on the subs are practically made up. Mix in his shady past business dealings and the reasons should speak for themselves.

SSA, Ascendant Audio (Fi Car Audio should be on the list too) are all 100% made in the good 'ol USA and are my top choices from that list. Sundown would be next on the list due to their tried and tested track record. I have limited experience with the subs (SA series only) but have nothing but good things to say about them. Incriminator is supposed to make some really legitimate drivers as well, however I cannot comment yay or nay on them simply because I have no direct experience with their products.

For the power you're looking at running (1200ish watts I believe you referenced) I think you'd be VERY happy with the Fi Car Audio X series subs, the SSA GCON's, or Ascendant's Arsenal or Chaos series subs.

Worry the most about building the best enclosure you can for the subs, it means more to the overall outcome than the particular sub being used does.

As for the Fi and SSA subs. My wife has been abusing the crap out of our pair of 12" Q's powered by a Sundown SAZ2k for three years now without any issues whatsoever and we always get comments on how good they sound and the shear force they hit with. My sister has been banging on her single 12" SSA DCON now for about the same amount of time with pretty much the same results. Most can't believe it's a single twelve and really have a hard time believing it's only being fed around 500 watts of power. Ascendant Audio is the Dealer only line from Scott Atwell, the same man who owns and runs Fi Car Audio. While I've never had my hands on an AA sub, I know where they come from, the build process they undergo, and the quality they're made with and wouldn't hesitate to use them if I ever got the chance. Fi is the online only line and is typically a little cheaper than AA or SSA.

Almost all of Sundown's sub lines are now built in a build house in China, however Jacob has had custom tooled almost all the parts for them and knows his products very well. He keeps the build house quality at the top of the stack so the products do very well with hardly any issue. Sub, amp or speaker Sundown's products are proven to give many other brands a run for their money.

It really comes down to what fits in your budget from that list. Aside from SKAR, you're not going to go wrong no matter which one you choose to go with.

Don't completely discount SoundQubed either. I've listened to a couple of their subs and used a 2200d amp before as well. While I don't agree with their philosophy on enclosure design and tuning, the subs did sound fairly good, got loud, and were clean doing it.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 06-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:42 PM

reason i didnt put FI is cause sometimes there prices seem a little to good, you know. but im running 2 12' mtx thuner 4000's ona 5 channel TIS 20 t510pk. It actuly suprised me how good it sounds and how well it hits. (and yes i know what true power sounds like). But im also looking to building better box for my MTXs while saving for the good stuff. but i need help on deciding on weither sealed or ported would be better and if they should share the same realestate or not. since there such low wattage subs.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:01 PM

Considering the lower power output of that amp, I think the only way to go would be with a ported enclosure, as large as the subs can handle for the most efficiency. Sharing or not sharing air space doesn't have any effect on the response. Many times sharing the same airspace saves some space since there's no wall to split the airspace for the subs and only one port being used, typcially.

As for Fi's prices, the prices are lower because they don't have all the over head that most other brands and companies do to sell the products. Advertising and dealer markup are the biggest reasons for the prices you see at most places. The dealers have costs associated with keeping the store open, their own advertising for the products they sell, etc. and they have to recoup that cost somewhere and that's where the markup comes from. They have to make a profit or they can't stay in business and that's also why so many locally owned shops have folded over the years. They simply can't compete with the internet.

According to the manual on MTX's website those 12's are good up to about 2.75cuft per sub, I think an enclosure in that 5 to 5.5cuft range would do very well for them. Tuning to the mid to lower 30's should let them dig plenty low while maintaining good response on the upper bass frequencies as well.

Link to the manual.

Just my .02

Old 06-16-2013, 02:46 PM

well would you be kind enough to draw me up some dimensions or actuly draw something up? not forceing you just asking. :]

Old 06-16-2013, 03:56 PM

I certainly can help you with that.

Old 06-16-2013, 04:10 PM

if you need my email to send pics then let me know and ill PM you. now on another note, will this amp be better to power my MTXs

Cerwin-Vega HED1000.1 (HED10001) Monoblock HED Car Amplifier

or would wiring my SVC 4ohm mtxs at 2 ohms be to much? i think they would handle it. its MTX after all :P

Old 06-16-2013, 04:22 PM

They'd handle it alright, but you're not going to get any gain that is audible. Save your money for your real upgrades...

BTW, enclosure I've designed is 5cuft NET, tuned to 32hz with 87sqin of port area, center port with subs up. I'll have drawings up shortly.

Quick Reply: which subs.