Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

System build

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM
Starting Member
bryanbc is on a distinguished road
Default System build

Has any any every built a system with 2 10s and 2 8s or some thing similar?

if so how well did it sound together?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:46 PM
Twip will become famous soon enough

i havent personally done it, but if you happen to go that route you could use the 8's to do more mid and have the 10's handle the low-lows. then all you would need would be some good tweeters/mids in the front and dash.

i would think that it would sound good once you got everything tuned. although you might run into a problem with one of them over powering the other...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Starting Member
xtrmes10 is on a distinguished road

Thats a pretty vague question with out more detail's of what equipment you want to us. It can sound bad if you use all cheap junk or it can sound great with higher end equipment.
I've installed thousands of systems with a wide range of results.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:12 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Why do you want to mix the sub sizes? If you think there's going to be a response difference between them then you're believing in an OLD rumor that's been around for a very long time. That rumor came about when people who had no clue what they were doing (and before some of the better driver designs we have available to us today) were not able to get deep bass response from something small like an 8" and got muddy, undefined, boomy bass response from large drivers like 15's and 18's. A perfect real world, real person example is a guy from the SSA forum named Mike Martel. He's from St. Catherine's Ontario and his first setup was a pair of 10" Alpine Type-X subs in an Alpine built enclosure. He sold them and got an 18" Fi BTL that he put in a well designed and custom built enclosure. He would tell anyone who asks about the difference he experienced. The 18 was tighter with better overall response from the deep stuff all the way up to the crossover point.

The fact is that the enclosure design dictates exactly what kind of response you'll get from the sub. A great sub in a less than ideal enclosure and installation can easily be outperformed by a less than great sub in a great enclosure and installation. Same goes for any speaker, be it a subwoofer or the speakers in your doors, the installation is 90% of the end result, the equipment being used is only 10%.

Give us the details on what you're goals are, what you're trying to achieve. It will be easier to help point you in the right direction.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:21 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by xtrmes10
Thats a pretty vague question with out more detail's of what equipment you want to us. It can sound bad if you use all cheap junk or it can sound great with higher end equipment.
I've installed thousands of systems with a wide range of results.
2 sets of JL Audio C3 6.5 comps with MRP-F300
2 JL 10w3s with jl 500/1
2 JL 8w3s with jl 500/1

the whole idea around this is i listen to rock/metal and rap and i was thinking if the 8s would give more of a tighter punch for rock/metal then the 10s do

Old 01-27-2013, 12:53 PM

Nope. Very common misinformation and misconception. A good pair of 10's in a PROPERLY designed enclosure will do great for both genre's of music and take up the least amount of space. 8's can do fine on the low stuff but with the small cone area will simply not give the output that 10's or larger can. 12's, 15's, etc. can be plenty "tight" but will take up considerably more space than the 10's would.

Do you already own the subs?

Old 01-27-2013, 03:41 PM
Starting Member

i own the 10s and the c3 comps, i was planing to buy the 8s

Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM

Then by all means save yourself the money on the 8's and put it toward building yourself a custom enclosure that will make them 10's work perfectly. It will be money much better spent.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
Then by all means save yourself the money on the 8's and put it toward building yourself a custom enclosure that will make them 10's work perfectly. It will be money much better spent.
This man knows his stuff... great advise here. You wont be disappointed.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by altoncustomtech
its already in a custom built enclosure(RAM Designs - Home) tuned to 33 hz i just wanted to see if other people had done some thing similar and if it sounded good or there was no difference

Quick Reply: System build