Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 03:22 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

How often does your band play in a blazer?

Old 01-10-2014, 09:54 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Properly done the music WILL immerse you with only a pair of stereo speakers. Multiple sources for the music to come from all in different locations aiming in different directions only degrades from that and is a proven fact.

To get that kind of quality from the speakers does require forethought, planning and more often than not a fair deal of custom fabrication to get the proper placement, axial response, etc. and then there's choosing the proper speakers to use for the proper application along with the processing necessary to make it all work like it should.

That being said it's more than most people are willing to put into their sound system but luckily a happy medium can usually be had without nearly so much money or work to complete. The use of proper sound deadening materials, solid baffles to which the woofers should mount, proper placement and phase alignment of the tweeters, active crossovers, EQ and digital time alignment can do miracles for most component sets that are out there. With the installation done right a $100 set of components can sound better than an $800 set that's just tossed into the factory locations with no regard to the quality of the installation itself.

A decent set of components, a moderately rated external amplifier, some solid baffles, a little sound deadening and some creative work with the tweeters can go a LONG way to making great sounding front stage. If you really want to get great sound with a little more elbow grease and a few extra items you can buy separate speakers for a fraction of the cost of components, add some good processing power and a great installation and people would think you spent over a grand on your speaker system. It all comes down to how much work you can/are willing to do and how much money you can/are willing to spend and just how important getting the perfect sound (to you) is.

For example I'm much more of a SQ nut than most. I'm working on rebuilding my front stage right now utilizing 3" full range drivers aimed on axis with 8" dedicated midbass in the doors and my 10" sub in the rear. The testing I've done so far with this type of setup has yielded sound quality that leaves everyone I've showed it off to so far speechless. They find reason after reason to try song after song and afterwards I get comments on how they are hearing every nuance and little detail in the music, how the sound stage seems to encompass them and how clear it is when it's pushed to their listening limits. All that with some cheap 6.5" woofers and some $13 full range speakers on a $150 HU that has the processing power to make it work and a few small amps. When I'm done with it though it will (hopefully) be a masterpiece of SQ, at least how I like listening to it.

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 01-10-2014 at 09:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:23 PM
ChevyBlazer4uHaters is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by LeWhite
How often does your band play in a blazer?
Lol...

The point he was trying to make (im guessing) is that when you set it up in this fashion, it actually sounds as if the band is playing in his blazer, which seems to make sense.

Old 01-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Great post altoncustomtech. A couple questions:

When you mention sound deadening, what are baffles exactly? Padding/foam that is sandwiched between the speaker and box maybe??

Also, do you have the two 8" midbass speakers located in the rear, where the 6x9s are originally?? Either way more detail would be much appreciated!

Thanks again. You basically answered any questions i had and i'm not confused anymore!

Old 01-11-2014, 08:42 PM

No not exactly Haters. I was poking fun at a professional musican. Mostly that his performance is intended for his audiance and not personal consumption. When I see musicians in their personal space they are facing each other. Again thats why the mixing console is in the audiance.

But to respond directly to your post above, there are two schools of thought. The first is 'they are here' vs 'you are there'. I subscribe to the latter. Pretty hard to get a concet grand in the back of the Blazer. Maybe I need a roof basket.

Old 01-11-2014, 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyBlazer4uHaters
Great post altoncustomtech. A couple questions:

When you mention sound deadening, what are baffles exactly? Padding/foam that is sandwiched between the speaker and box maybe??

Also, do you have the two 8" midbass speakers located in the rear, where the 6x9s are originally?? Either way more detail would be much appreciated!

Thanks again. You basically answered any questions i had and i'm not confused anymore!
Sound deadening is a system of materials used to help eliminate resonances, rattles, and to help block outside noises. I could explain it all here however that would take a lot of time and reading. I would suggest visiting Sound Deadener Showdown because all the best information on the subject can be found there.

A baffle is simply the surface/panel that a speaker is mounted to. A flimsy/flexible baffle is bad for quality music reproduction. It can cause resonances, distortions, color the sound and affects the output due to the loss of acoustic energy. Solid baffles help give stronger bass output and clean up the midrange.

Here's an example of the factory baffle in our trucks.

Here's a picture of the heavy duty custom baffles I built for the components in my '01 Jimmy

The 8" dedicated midbasses will be installed in the factory locations in new baffles mounted to the front doors. While there are 6x9's in the rear of my truck they're not used or even hooked up and never will be while I own it.

The 3" full range speakers will play from about 250hz on up giving a single point source for the majority of frequencies. They will be installed in custom fiberglass pods that will be mounted to the sail panels of the door panel and aimed directly on axis, or simply directly at the driver (me).

The 8" dedicated midbasses will play from about 300hz down to 60hz. Those frequencies are not directional and with the proper processing (EQ, digital time alignment,etc.) it will sound as though the bass is coming from the 3"ers.

Lastly the 10" sub will handle from 60hz down. I've been playing with this setup for several weeks now with the 3"ers mounted in temporary enclosures and using the mids from my component set as the dedicated midbasses for now with spectacular results. My music has never sounded so full and alive. I really can't wait to try out the better 3"ers I bought and feel just how awesome the 8's do with the midbasses duties.

Attached Thumbnails Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup-dscn0110.jpg   Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup-dscn0123.jpg  

Last edited by altoncustomtech; 01-12-2014 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-13-2014, 11:52 AM

@Alton: The stock baffels have an angled front and your mdf baffels dont. How do you compensate? How is the door panel angled?

Old 01-14-2014, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the detailed explanation. So you are putting 8" speakers in the doors, correct?? Sounds like it will be a very nice system once complete. Make sure to keep peeps updated!

Old 01-15-2014, 06:35 AM

LeWhite, the angle on the factory baffle is for it to "mate" up close to the factory grill on the door card. With the grill cut out of the door card and the baffle going through it there's no NEED for it to have any angles. I did install them with a thick weatherstrip foam under them and it accomplishes two things. First it helps to decouple the baffle from the sheet metal to help with resonances. Second it let me fidget with the angle ever so slightly to make sure the baffle was just right for the door card to go back on.

CB4H, yeah there will be 8" drivers in the doors when it's done. YW for the detailed explanation and thanks I'm hoping it turns out as good as the goals I've set for it.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:31 PM

Are the 3"full range Fosdex by chance?
How much furthur out are the 8" than the 6.5"? There is a window track back there.
Man those are BIG bolts in the baffel!

Last edited by LeWhite; 01-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Total Number Of Speakers Running = Ideal Setup