Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Treo SSX vs. MD Napalm

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2006, 10:33 AM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Treo SSX vs. MD Napalm

Ok peeps, here we go on this one. im done playing around trying to save a penny. Im between these 2 subs and here is my comparision - please let me know what you people think.

Treo SSX 15 in subwoofer
Features:

* Available in 12, 15, and 18 inch diameters.
* Precision CNC-machined low-carbon steel motor structure with durable and attractive triple-polished nickel finish (534 oz. on SSX12.xx, 582 oz. on SSX15.22 & SSX18.22)
* Triple-stack strontium ferrite magnets with an attractive rubber magnet boot
* High-flow extreme diameter vented pole piece
* Extreme excursion motor structure and suspension design
* Five-layer Poly-ether UV-treated foam surround
* The largest high-temperature Nomex damper in car audio today allows 4 inches of excursion
* Integrated tinsel leads for increased reliability and enhanced sound quality at high excursion
* Attractive anti-resonance Die-cast aluminum basket with Treo Engineering-exclusive perimeter venting
* Kevlar-reinforced Treo-exclusive Penta-fiber cone
* Extreme power handling 4.0 Inch high temperature aluminum voice coils with integral heatsink on SSX15.22 and SSX18.22
* Extreme power handling 3.0 Inch high-temperature aluminum voice coils with integral heatsink on SSX12.22
* 2000 Watts RMS Power handling on SSX12.22
* 2500 Watts RMS Power handling on SSX15.22 & SSX18.22
* Dual 2 Ohm voice coils for a variety of installation options
* Nickel-plated spring-loaded push terminals retain up to 8 AWG wire
* Optimized for medium and large sealed, vented, and bandpass enclosures
* Built by hand in the United States from domestic and imported components
* Three-year dealer installed warranty
Treo SSX Webpage

Mass Destruction 15 in Napalm

Magnet Size (Oz.) 180
Voice Coil (Inch) 3
RMS Power 1,000
Peak Power 2,000
Peak Suspension (mm) 70
Nominal Impedence (Ohm) D1,D2,D4

Size 15
Re (Ohm) 4
Fs (Hz) 26
Qms 7.774
Qes 0.335
Qts 0.321
Vas (l) 130
SPL (dB) 90
The Napalm is an entry level SPL mid grade driver that is far from any other mid grade and the ULTIMATE daily driver! It is designed to take large amounts of power for SPL competitions and little to no power for daily power. The subs require small to medium enclosures to function properly. This is the EXTREME daily driver sub!
MD Napalm web page

please note that all stats came from the respected webpages. Feel free to comment on any misprints or errors.

This project will include 4 of whatever i end up getting. thats right - 4 15's. depending on the winner i will be running a set (ie 2) Power Acoustic 2400D or 3000D amps. 2400 for the MD's and the 3000 for the Treos. Let me know ppl, i know you will be able to get this one done.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:10 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Treo SSX vs. MD Napalm

Not having ever heard the MD's, my vote is for the Treo. I have the 18 SSX and I slapped a box together in a night, bout 7 cu ft and i put 1600 watts to it, which is about half of what you can throw at it for a daily driver, around 3600 , and they have been in Comps having 6000 thrown at them, and more. I went to a local bass race, and I hit a 144.7. Damn good with only that much power and a box tuned to about 35, not a great number for comps as you know.

If you want toal insanity, step up to the CSX's, never seen one blow.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:15 AM

so you think four SSX 15"s with 2300 rms and 3000 peak would get going in a blazer?

Old 08-31-2006, 11:21 AM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/vide...napalm12.2.wmv

In a probe or something idk what the ef that car is lol.

Mass Destruction Car Audio's four 12" Napalm prototypes in a ported enclosure tuned to 42Hz, powered by two Autoteck 4000.1 amps

Those are only the proto types tho. Productions are better

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/vide...napalm12.4.wmv Thats on my amp. but its that *** Mark at TCAB [:@]

http://www.realmofexcursion.com/vide...napalm12.6.wmv Production Model

btw they updated the design and it doesnt have that 2nd surround anymore. Its just the 1 big surround

Old 08-31-2006, 11:41 AM

seeing the vids doesnt help me a lot hear Jon. i have seen them, i have been all over ROE and saw everything i could on those subs. but in a vid, a JL could look bad as can be, and your 6 kickers looked hard core as well. Not to say they arent but you say that these are better right? Im looking for fact and opinion here. i still havent seen any hard numbers and stats on the napalms, like i have seen from Treo.its not that i want to look down on MD or anything, its just that i havent been impressed by them yet. I have left more than one phone message, along with multiple emails - and called a few times on top of that. I would personally like to go with the MD's because it would cost about half the price. but performance has to be taken into consideration and if i have a problem, i need to know someone will be around to take care of my issue. Its not so much the product anymore either. the numbers i have seen show both fairly high up - but they both have strong points. And again, a real concern of mine is that MD doesnt showw all the numbers and it makes me wonder if they are hiding something. by the way, did you ever get that sidewinder metered? im just wondering on that.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:49 AM
BF Veteran

I personally have heard 1 prototype napalm 12" in a trunk car. Jag has seen is also.

I believe he had 1200 watts to it and the suround was damaged. (pushed the box forward and he didnt see the like screw sticking out of his seat and well yea) Torn surround.

Lets say it hurt me to sit in that car. Jag can vouch there.

See the main problem here is, The napalms are just coming out. while the treo has been out for awhile now so compairisons are pretty hard at the moment. But judging from the proto and the sidewinder's personaly. I would go with MD. and not just cause im a dealer for them. I love the build quality, power efficiency is just ridiculous (ran 200 watts on a sidewinder and that was loud) Also the price tag isnt as hefty! and well you guys know me! I like cheaper things that still **** lol.

U sayin my kickers werent hardcore in those vids! lol. I mean 4 napalms at 1k watts each in that blue probe or wutever that is made someone throw up at a comp lol.

Old 08-31-2006, 11:57 AM

so would you say that in your opinion - the 4 15 inch napalms with 1800rms and a 2400 peak would be similar, or competitive of the 4 15" ssx with similar power running to them? if same box and such was used? just a yes or no is sufficient. again, im willing to spend the money but i dont want to spend X dollars here and know i could have gotten much more for that lil extra.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:02 PM
BF Veteran

personaly.

I really dont know man. I mean i dont wanna push the MD's on you if you wouldnt be happy. But i do know the napalms will take any ammount of power u put to it and produce great numbers with it.

So myself me. If I were gonna run either one. I'd do the napalms cause I am very happy with what everyone has said about the company, I know how they take small ammounts of power and use that to the full potential possible. and they dont really NEED alot of airspace to sound loud.

Old 08-31-2006, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran

If you look tho.

If your doing

say 2 A2400D's

thats 3600 watts total (it puts 1800@1)

If you do 2 A300DB's

There is 4600 watts total. (they do 2400@1)

You wont be even RMSing the Treo's......................

Old 08-31-2006, 12:30 PM

you make a good point. and dont feel like your pushing the MDs to hard. im just trying to find flaws so im pushing back a lil hard. im sure i will be satisfied with either - for a while. but the MD's would save the wallet a bit. so feel free to make me want the MDs among all the others. Have you blown anything yet?

Quick Reply: Treo SSX vs. MD Napalm