Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Trouble installing system

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 10:42 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trouble installing system

Ok heres my scenario...got 2 kicker 10s and and kenwood kac-526 from a buddy of mine. First problem we ran into was the screw for the battery cable and the connector on the amps positive feed. The screw is too short to allow the connector to go on and be screwed into the battery. Ok, we just wanted to hear how it sounded, so we duck taped the screw w/ the connector on it to the battery. Worked fine, sounded awesome. Then we start trouble shooting how to get the positive feed onto the battery. We finally decided to just cut the connector off altogehter and fan out the cable and just let it wrap around the screw as it was screwed into the battery. Fired it up, cant turn the bass up at all, cant turn the volume up hardly, and this was after we had EVERYTHING tucked away. I really think its a power issue b/c its fine at a low volume until the bass goes to hit hard, and then it goes quiet. Sorry for the long post but its late and Im tired, cant think of how to word it any better.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:49 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future
Default RE: Trouble installing system

they make battery post extenders so you have more room to screw cables. i bought a $8 terminal at walmart that clamps down on the top post. it has two 8ga and 2 4ga holes. if you dont have a battery with top/side posts, your best bet is to get a longer battery post... when you say "fan out" does that mean there are basically a bunch of loose strands screwed in between the post and the battery? i dont have tons of experience but theres no way that can be good. also, where did you ground the amp at?a bad ground is just as bad as a badpositive connection

longer post

top post adapter

Old 02-09-2008, 10:59 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point

What size guage are you using?
where are you grounded?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:36 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

do you have a picture of your battery and the screw you are talking about? And here is a general rule for you future audio mods..... If the install is ghetto, dont expect great results.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:44 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

yup, get a pic, it will greatly help.

but as they said, get a proper battery terminal, they're easy to find and cheap

also make sure the ground is solid AND clean of any paint, and that the batt. post is clean as well.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 AM

Thanks guys Ill take this stuff into account when I go look at it in a bit, and update you later

Old 02-10-2008, 06:29 PM

Fixed it! I got a longer battery bolt from advance andmoved my ground to one of the bolts for the back seat. I took a video too, but its terrible sound quality.
Its a little rough looking, but hey it works. This summer Ill probably refinish the box. Can you paint speaker cones as well?

Old 02-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Default New system! Pics...

Just giving thisa bump since no ones noticed...

Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New system! Pics...

looks clean, wish I had a tan interior

Old 02-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Zasder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: New system! Pics...

Nice glad it got fixed nd is working!

Quick Reply: Trouble installing system