Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

"True" 4 AWG help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 08:20 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

The ad244 is 145a. It can put out 200+ amps at idle when cold. My thinking is buying the Knu oversized 4 awg for the big 3 since I'll have a little extra room to add more lights or upgrade the sound system further in the future. If I use the Bullz Audio 4 awg (more like 8 awg) then the potential to upgrade later on is virtually nonexistent. Plus the ad244 would have to work harder for that crappy undersized wire. eBay awg wire pisses me off...

Old 12-20-2012, 08:30 PM
Starting Member
armykyle1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tibby
The ad244 is 145a. It can put out 200+ amps at idle when cold. My thinking is buying the Knu oversized 4 awg for the big 3 since I'll have a little extra room to add more lights or upgrade the sound system further in the future. If I use the Bullz Audio 4 awg (more like 8 awg) then the potential to upgrade later on is virtually nonexistent. Plus the ad244 would have to work harder for that crappy undersized wire. eBay awg wire pisses me off...
If it's a 145a alt, then it's a 145a, ratings are typically made from cold operation.

Not trying to be a know it all, but Not even 320a Ho alts do 200amps at idle.

S Series

That's one of the top companies making HO alts.

If you plan on future upgrades, then forget 4ga altogether. Just step up to some decent 0ga, or do double runs of 4ga.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by armykyle1
If it's a 145a alt, then it's a 145a, ratings are typically made from cold operation.

Not trying to be a know it all, but Not even 320a Ho alts do 200amps at idle.

S Series

That's one of the top companies making HO alts.

If you plan on future upgrades, then forget 4ga altogether. Just step up to some decent 0ga, or do double runs of 4ga.
I was basing those numbers off a thread on S-10 forums. I've never used the ad244 145a before so I guess I'm speculating at this point. But here is a link for you.

ad244 upgrade

I don't really want to shell out $75 for 20 feet of 1/0 right now. You see anything cheaper that is "true" 1/0? Knu, Cadence?

Old 12-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'll find the Ebay seller I used for my 0awg. Its huge I had to stretch the terminals to get then to fit! I think I paid $2.xx a foot so not bad at all I don't think. I'll look it up tomorrow. Whered you get the ad244 from Tibby?

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 PM
Default .

Originally Posted by rexmburns
I'll find the Ebay seller I used for my 0awg. Its huge I had to stretch the terminals to get then to fit! I think I paid $2.xx a foot so not bad at all I don't think. I'll look it up tomorrow. Whered you get the ad244 from Tibby?
Okay, I know Knu's 4 awg is like a 2 awg in reality. So I still might go that route. But I got my alt from a local junkyard around here I don't normally go to. But they had an excellent price on the alt. They sell on eBay as well. Their eBay id should be something like "Lewisville_Motors."

Old 12-21-2012, 07:09 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I was a lic electrican for 12 years, both ac and dc. I've played with just about every type and brand out there. My main problem with car audio wiring was no standards on the insulation. They could make it what ever thickness, out of whatever, and claim anything cause nobody cared. I also don't trust the cheap overpriced car audio electrical parts. All of my ends are of thick copper and soldered on, use glue lined heat shrink over that.

The ad244 is pretty underrated. Factory take offs has been tested and put out 170 to 190 amps. The rebuilt ones only put out 145amps. If dealing with a j/y that takes them off for you make sure its not a rebuild. I picked up both of mine for $20 a pop local.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Here's the ebay seller I bought mine through. $2.75 a foot with free shipping. Some may disagree but I think this stuff is huge!! The wire says "audio pipe hwy 836, USA" on it if that means anything to anyone lol. To me its says made in America and thats reason enough to buy it for me

Attached Thumbnails "True" 4 AWG help?-imag1403.jpg  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:55 AM
Starting Member
armykyle1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by tibby
I was basing those numbers off a thread on S-10 forums. I've never used the ad244 145a before so I guess I'm speculating at this point. But here is a link for you.

ad244 upgrade

I don't really want to shell out $75 for 20 feet of 1/0 right now. You see anything cheaper that is "true" 1/0? Knu, Cadence?
Oh wow, I'm googling and reading up on it. I stand corrected lol.

That's a nifty little mod for cheap! I'm liking this forum!

Old 12-21-2012, 06:09 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Yeah its pretty much bolt in for you 4.3 guys. Few of us with 60degrees had a time figuring out resistor sizes to make it work.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:26 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

I have one on my 04 s10 and did my big 3 with streetwires 4ga. The blazer will be getting one come next month or February. I made the big 3 for it from 1/0 streetwires as well and had to expand the terminals to get it to fit in there to be soldered in.

On the 04 I scored the alternator for $40 and the belt was $32 with a code from advance auto. It made a huge difference with the lighting on the truck too.

Quick Reply: "True" 4 AWG help?