Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Tweeter and Amp Placement

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 08:25 PM
982DRBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tweeter and Amp Placement

I am going to be investing in a nice sound system for my truck sometime soon. I have settled on a set of MB Quart components for the front.However, Im curious as where to put the tweeters. Should I put them in the dash where my stock ones are? or cut a hole in the door panel somewhere and put it there? If mounted in the dash, is the wiring a pain?
Also I will be investing in two Alpine PDX series amps to power my system. Im wondering if anyone has any creative spots to put the amps and still have the ability to have cargo space? My only idea is drawing up a plate on CAD that I can have made to mount on the ceiling in the back and have it bolted in where the seat belt bolts in.

Open to ideas and opinions. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Tweeter and Amp Placement

you can either cut a hole in the doors, get small gauge pods for your a-pillar, or put them in the dash(where i put them on my car and customers cars) as for the amps, most usually put them on the panal that covers the seat backs in the rear. i like the idea of mounting them on the roof, but you will run into the problem of getting big enouugh and long enough wiring to get there. you could also flush mount them in some mdf and put them in opposing wheel wells anc carpet them.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:42 PM

Yeah I would put them on those flaps that cover the rear seats, but I would like to still be able to use my cargo area and not have to worry about screwing up my amps in the process. Be nice considering Im going six hours from home to college in October. When you say having trouble getting wire big/long enough are you talking about any specific wire? RCA, Speaker, Power Cable(s) for the amps?

Old 04-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Administrator

yea, depending on where you actually mount them, power wires and rca's could get long.

Old 04-15-2007, 08:57 PM

Yeah, I know I could get speaker and power wire that long, but not so sure about the RCA cables. That could get expensive. I was also wondering, you said you put the tweeters in the stock location, where do you typically mount the crossovers? In the door and then run one wire in and one wire out? or in the dash somewhere and then only run a sinlge wire thru the door wire tube?

Old 04-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Administrator

depends on the car. usually, i put the crossover in the dash and run 1 set of wires to the door. just makes it a little easier to change the settings on the crossover (if you can on those). The longest set of RCA's (quality ones) that i have seen is a shade under 20 feet. but you could always get the female to female connector (but you might bleed a little signal through cheap ones)

Old 04-15-2007, 09:11 PM

Yeah that makes sense, althought it seems like there wouldnt be a lot of room on the drivers side, but then again I havent popped the dash surround off and looked. Yeah I think ill go with your idea about making something to sit opposite the wheel well. I have the jack on the drivers side but nothing on the passenger side. I thought about making something and then bolting it underneat the cargo rings on the floor. I think I could get both amps in there and its on the same side of the truck as the battery so that helps. Im beginning to think I may have to take the Trim and Upholstery class while Im at Wyotech.

Old 04-16-2007, 07:12 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

How do y'all manage to get wire through that door tube? lol

Old 04-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Administrator

pull the door tube off on both sides, then just start stuffing. a wire for a pull helps too.

Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

I didn't think I'd be able to get it back on properly, lol

Quick Reply: Tweeter and Amp Placement