Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

two 10"s

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 10:41 PM
Beginning Member
MuTaLiZeD is on a distinguished road
Default two 10"s

hello there! I am looking into purchasing a set of alpine type r 10's and needing some info. This isn't my first time at the rodeo, but it is in a SUV. All I have ever put my sub's into were sealed enclosures, my question now being is that going to sound best with all the open area or should the enclosure be vented/ported? Secondly power. The amp im looking into is 1000W RMS at 2 ohms. Is that going to be a huge issue to the truck?

Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd say most common is subs firing up and port back facing the tailgate. And yes your truck can take 1000rms but you will have pretty good voltage drop at low rpm or idling.

use good fat wire, with solid, clean grounds. where the back seats bolt is a good spot.

also consider upgrading your battery and running bigger wire from your alt + to batt + is not a bad idea.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member

cool, changing the alt cable to the battery is something new to me, always heard of it but never attempted it. Special kind of cable to do this?

Old 02-14-2011, 12:42 PM
BF Veteran

nope just need about a 2 foot piece with ring terminals soldered to each end. id use at least 4 gauge, but the bigger the better

if you read up on "the big 3" you'll get some ideas for basic electrical upgrades.

Old 02-15-2011, 01:13 AM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

yeah, i was going to say that if he's going to do the charge wire he might as well do the grounds also.

i've personally had good luck with sub and port back but... my sub is 5 inches off the floor of the trunk so

Old 02-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

I have a 12w3 in a ported box built to spec, 500w RMS

tried port back, sub back a foot from tail gate, that I can feel the hardest.

if I put both up facing the ceiling, I can feel it in my ears more and outside the vehicle (mostly in front) feels it more.

Then I have 2 old school audiobahn 12's in a sealed box, both facing back.

125/250w rms each (not sure how many ohms they are)

This hits hard enough.

More than 500w is just to annoy people/showoff/break things on the car/advertise and get your gear stolen IMO but w/e it's your car...

Just try different combinations. everyone and every sub/box combo is different.

just make sure to demo sealed and ported boxes first.

you may even decide you don't need as much as you thought

I prefer sealed as ported just hurts my ears without actually feeling the bass as much, as apposed to sealed RARELY hurting my ears but being felt a lot more. seems that ported just blocks the high frequencies more at higher volumes (when it hurts your ears)

here are the 2 boxes I have

Attached Thumbnails two 10"s-dscn7068.jpg   two 10"s-dscn7902.jpg  
Old 02-21-2011, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member

The only thing I really want them for are a little umph with the music, nothing to show off. Maybe I will go with lower end wattage. I will look into everything that has been brought to my attention. I appreciate all the help!

Old 02-21-2011, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran

2 10" type r's will be more than just a little umph on 1000 watts

they have single 8" subs hitting 150dbs now

Old 02-21-2011, 02:37 PM
Beginning Member
Greg is on a distinguished road

If you are wanting a "plug & play",I recommend MTX Terminators.You can buy the kit,comes with matching amp,subs,& box and they are pretty affordable.I have 2 12"s,and am very happy with the quality and sound.Just thought I'd pass that on to you.Goodluck.

Old 02-22-2011, 02:50 AM
Starting Member
96jimmyslt4x4 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by MuTaLiZeD
The only thing I really want them for are a little umph with the music, nothing to show off. Maybe I will go with lower end wattage. I will look into everything that has been brought to my attention. I appreciate all the help!
In that case, you would probably be content with the 125/250w rms x2 I have going on right now.

I even have the bass boost off and the gain at half.

the subs are the 2 audiobahn in the pic I posted above..

I am not sure if they are 2 or 4 ohm, and the 2x on the amp is 2/4 ohms, but I did have one hooked up bridged 500w rms and it sounded the same and handled it the same.

amp is RF p500-2

I really think best buy/frys would suite your needs and 1000w sounds like overkill as well.

Also, make sure to get 2 subs or more. I never really knew how much 2 made a difference, but it's noticeable if you unplug one, even at low volumes. It just "feels more" for lack of a better term.

Future proofing is fine though - get as big of wire as you can.

If you "play" with craigslist, you can probably end up buying/selling as you see fit. Start out small and make your way up if you need more.

Just make sure you test everything first as people on CL are creeps sometimes.

Quick Reply: two 10"s