Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Upgrading speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough
Default Upgrading speakers/adding a sub

All right this winter I plan on replacing my speakers and getting either a single 10 or 12in sub. Im looking to spend around 2-300 on the speakers and another couple 100 on a sub. I have a few amps that I picked up because I got a good deal on them. lol I tend to do that a lot. I have 2 pioneer GM-520T's 760w and a brand new Hifonics titan TXi4008 400w. will those work or should I get some different ones. I want to do this right since I dont want to have to do it again for a while. For a sub im not looking for something that will rattle the whole truck. I just want something that will put out some good bass when i want it.

Last edited by NVANZEE; 08-10-2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

Any of those amps will do just fine. Just spend a little cash on a decent sub, and either build an enclosure, or find one that's well made. I'd suggest building one, it's going to be cheaper, and it's not that difficult. If you want to build an enclosure, the manufacture will enclose specs for the size of the enclosure. I'd recommend using 3/4 inch MDF, screws, and caulking. Carpet is optional, but, if you do want to carpet it, Wal Mart has rolls of carpet for like 10 dollars, just use a good adhesive. 3M is good stuff.

As for a sub, a single 10 or 12 will do what you want. You can get a Pioneer sub at Wal Mart for under 100 dollars.

You'll also need a wire kit for the amp. Either 4 or 8 gauge wire will work. If you can, find a kit, you can save some coin that way.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. I've been goofing with car audio for about 16 years now and will be upgrading all the audio in my Blazer, as soon as I get it.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

those amps would be fine other than the fact you would have 3 amps in the back, that is if you want to power front, rear, and sub. If I were you I'd sell the two pioneers and pick up a decent 4 channel for the speakers. then you can use the hifonics for the sub and just bridge the two channels together to get the most power for your sub. Now I know you are big on 4 wheeling like me so a sub really isn't all that important to me. I'd look at the 10" subs they sound better in my opinion and are less likely to get beat up in the back. I had a 200 watt infinity 10" and that put out plenty of bass when I needed it and completed the range of sound when I was just listening. looking at the specs of your hifonics amp a 200 watt sub would work perfect for that, most companies make 200 watt subs at decent prices. as for the amp for the speakers, I would wait to buy an amp for those until you get your speakers so you know the wattage your speakers can handle and then buy an amp that fits the speakers needs. because if you buy a new amp before the speakers you may be under powering the speakers and they won't sound as good as they should

Old 08-09-2010, 10:57 AM

it doesnt really matter how many amps i have in the back. Since i building a false floor for those. I do plan on building the box since it will also be part of the storage box im making. So what speakers would you guys recommend?

Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 PM
BF Veteran

what kind of music do you listen to?

Old 08-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

If you do some hardcore wheeling, something to keep in mind is, if you think your speaker is going to see some hard bumps, I'd mount the woofer facing up, otherwise 1 good hit and your magnet will shift and your woofer will be toast.

If you plan on running all 3 amps, you'll need 3 sets of RCA cables, a power distribution block capable of running 3 amps, then a common ground spot for all 3. As for the remote wire, you can run it to the first amp, then just loop it to the other 2 amps.

As for what kind of subs I'd recommend... JL Audio, Kicker, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Precision Power... just to name a few.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Benedict1337
what kind of music do you listen to?

i listen to a lot of different stuff. from country to rock to rap.

Originally Posted by whyteb0y
If you do some hardcore wheeling, something to keep in mind is, if you think your speaker is going to see some hard bumps, I'd mount the woofer facing up, otherwise 1 good hit and your magnet will shift and your woofer will be toast.

If you plan on running all 3 amps, you'll need 3 sets of RCA cables, a power distribution block capable of running 3 amps, then a common ground spot for all 3. As for the remote wire, you can run it to the first amp, then just loop it to the other 2 amps.

As for what kind of subs I'd recommend... JL Audio, Kicker, Alpine, Rockford Fosgate, Precision Power... just to name a few.
Yeah i do wheel a lot so I probably should mount it upwards. Except the way im building the box it would be kinda close to the roof. Im thinking i might sell the two pioneer amps and get a 4ch. Since they will be under the false floor. There will be even more heat output with three. So it would require more fans. As for the wiring i know how to do all that. As i have done a few systems before. I have most of the wireing ran already from having the interior out last winter for he dual battery setup.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran

For speakers you should look at alpines I've heard they are good all around speakers. Also if you aren't looking to spend as much on alpines power bass speakers are great all around speakers for a lower price. I personally have polk speakers and they sound great with country, rock, instrumental stuff, not so good with the ''bassy'' rap music. Kicker and JL audio speakers handle bass very well but aren't as good a producing the instrumental parts of the music. As for subs most brands are good, just stay away from the cheap stuff otherwise known as the walmart brands

Old 08-09-2010, 06:14 PM

What do you guys think about this amp. http://www.woofersetc.com/p8681/HFi1...-Amplifier.htm As i was looking at speaker ratings i noticed that this amp might be a little big. What do you guys think?

Old 08-09-2010, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran

that is probably perfect for most 6 1/2 inch speakers. their rms is usually 80-120 watts. and in the 2 doors they have 6x9s in the back i think? 6x9s usually are anywhere from 100-200 watts rms so that amp should work well for you. its ok to underpower speakers you just don't want to overpower them

Quick Reply: Upgrading speakers