Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Upgrading speakers

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 07:07 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

ok, heres one that is rated high enough that is 4ohms but is DVC. Its rated at 300w per coil http://www.woofersetc.com/p8771/SWR1...-Subwoofer.htm

Old 08-11-2010, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

here is how you would wire it

Old 08-11-2010, 12:26 PM

alright, will that still work since my amp would put out 4ohms bridged instead of 8

Old 08-12-2010, 06:06 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

if you have a 2 channel amp and are going to wire it to a sub you want a sub that will equal 4 ohms when wired up. it'd be better than doing 8 ohms because you will halve your power from the amp.

also, what are you doing with your dash speakers? if you don't replace those, you will notice the sound levels not matching up. i have the woofers to my components in but the stock tweeters and they sound horrid.

also, if you just disconnect them and plug the speakers in the doors, your music will sound like its coming from under you and give weird "imaging". so, my thought for you would be to think about components for the fronts and no rear speakers. let the sub fill in the rear. the only real reason to put speakers in the rear is if you have people in back very often.

sorry, for the novel and anything you don't like, i'm just trying to get you to think about a bunch of different ideas nick.

Old 08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
BF Veteran

you could always get 4x6 speakers for the dash and have them wired to your front channel along with the 6 1/2 inch in the front. That is how I have speakers set up and it sounds good

Old 08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
BF Veteran

that is a good idea. the only thing i can think of bad with that though is if you try and set the frequency points, you won't be able to set the front low enough... but, i'm also an audio nut case... so, figure out what sounds good to you and we can help with the little stuff

Old 08-12-2010, 10:41 PM

well right now there inst anything in the dash. I ripped the tweeters out a long time ago. Im still confused about the sub. The 2ch amp i have puts out 4ohms bridged. The sub I was looking at was 4ohms but it was a DVC. Thanks for all the help guys

Old 08-12-2010, 11:42 PM
BF Veteran

dvc means that it is like 2 subs in one. there are TWO voice coils which means that it has TWO 4 ohm coils. so, its either 8 ohms or 2 ohms. if you want a DVC to equal 4 ohms, you need a dual 2 ohm sub

Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 AM
BF Veteran

duh I forgot you can just wire each coil to one channel so that its 4 ohms a piece or you could go with the 2 ohm sub and bridge it. Either would work I think most companies make both 2 ohm and 4 ohm of the same sub

Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 AM
BF Veteran

most do but some companies only do one version of their subs. like eclipse i know used to only do a 4 ohm of one model, then a 2 ohm of a completely different and kept switching back and forth.

but, benedict can help with the space saving idea for off roading, i myself kind of got rid of my trunk haha. i have 14 inches between sub box and tailgate.... yeah, i like bass

Quick Reply: Upgrading speakers