Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Upgrading speakers in my 2000 Blazer LT?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 10:07 PM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Maverick338369
Ok , so just to be clear here , when installing components in the front, is flush mounting the tweeters in the factory dash grills a good idea or no? I have a 2000 blazer LT.
Understand that tweeters are directional. You will experience the best performance from them if you can aim them toward you. I'm actually thinking the pillars are the way to go but there are tons of options. Maybe try just sticking them in different spots with some two sides tape just to hear the difference from one location to the next.

Old 10-20-2018, 10:50 PM
Maverick338369 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Understand that tweeters are directional. You will experience the best performance from them if you can aim them toward you. I'm actually thinking the pillars are the way to go but there are tons of options. Maybe try just sticking them in different spots with some two sides tape just to hear the difference from one location to the next.
I was trying to get away with not putting them everywhere and doing a lot of testing . Lol Using the factory tweeter plates, I could swap them and have them face forward or if I flush mounted them in the speaker grill I could angle them towards me. I just wasn't sure what the best option was.

Last edited by Maverick338369; 10-21-2018 at 09:21 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:46 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Maverick338369
I was trying to get away with not putting them everywhere and doing a lot of testing . Lol Using the factory tweeter plates, I could swap them and have them face forward or if I flush mounted them in the speaker grill I could angle them towards me. I just wasn't sure what the best option was.
Agreed. That's probably the quickest way to get it done. Some folks are perfectionists and want to be absolutely sure they gave chosen the best possible location before settling on a permanent home for a set of speakers. It's a big to-do so you don't want to have to mess with it repeatedly. I was considering doing the same thing as you just so I wouldn't have to change the appearance of the interior.

Old 10-21-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by GreenBlazer2002
Agreed. That's probably the quickest way to get it done. Some folks are perfectionists and want to be absolutely sure they gave chosen the best possible location before settling on a permanent home for a set of speakers. It's a big to-do so you don't want to have to mess with it repeatedly. I was considering doing the same thing as you just so I wouldn't have to change the appearance of the interior.
Yeah, I didn't really wanna change the appearance either, but since half of the slots in the door grills have broken, I wound up cutting them out and using the jbl speaker grills in the rear doors and I'm gonna do the same with the front. On the rear, they don't look really great, but they're functional. That's why I was thinking about flush mounting the tweeters in the dash speaker grills just to add to the custom look and mainly so I could hear and aim them better. Unless someone knows a better way . I mean I can replace the dash grills a whole lot easier than a door panel or an a pillar if I don't like it or mess up . Lol

Last edited by Maverick338369; 10-21-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:14 PM

Old 10-21-2018, 01:48 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

No offense but it's time to search the junk yards for new panels. (I'm the perfectionist everyone hates)

Old 10-21-2018, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
No offense but it's time to search the junk yards for new panels. (I'm the perfectionist everyone hates)
That's the problem . There's only a few around here . I have searched, and online too .They're few and far between. And the one's I do find are for manual windows . Which sucks. And like I said, not great, but functional.

​​​​​ Correction, I just searched eBay again and found some, but I can't afford them right now . And I'd still have to trim out that ring on the inside to keep it from hitting the surround on the speaker. And since you're a perfectionist, would you flush mount the tweeters in the dash speaker grills and angle them towards the seats, or use the factory tweeter plates by swapping sides so they face the seats? And I don't mean that sarcastically, btw . Lol Just want an honest opinion .

Last edited by Maverick338369; 10-21-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:48 PM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

I left my dash tweeters untouched. In fact I purchased a dash cover which has no openings for the speakers. ( The mfr says the material doesn't change the sound quality ). This after buying and painting a new set of speaker covers. Did it affect the sound? I couldn't tell you because at my age my ears can't tell the difference. My Blazer is not a daily driver and when I do drive it the trip is always under 10 miles. The original speakers were all degraded so I bought and installed 4 Kenwood speakers when I was repairing the door panels. My door panels btw look identical to yours. The Kenwoods sound great to me. Sorry I'm no help.

Old 10-21-2018, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by G0LFADD1CT
I left my dash tweeters untouched. In fact I purchased a dash cover which has no openings for the speakers. ( The mfr says the material doesn't change the sound quality ). This after buying and painting a new set of speaker covers. Did it affect the sound? I couldn't tell you because at my age my ears can't tell the difference. My Blazer is not a daily driver and when I do drive it the trip is always under 10 miles. The original speakers were all degraded so I bought and installed 4 Kenwood speakers when I was repairing the door panels. My door panels btw look identical to yours. The Kenwoods sound great to me. Sorry I'm no help.
None of my speakers worked at all when I bought the truck 4 years ago. So I put some cheap speakers in . I'm upgrading now. Especially since I've installed 2 12's pushing 1400 watts rms give or take a lil. Lol And I'm on disability. So like you I don't drive my blazer every single day. When I do, it's also less than 10 miles. I just want it to sound good and sound right.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:46 PM
Beginning Member
Big'n is on a distinguished road

I ran cadence 5.25 in the dash then did custom door panels with two 6.5 coax a 6" an 8" mid driver in each door an 3 1.5" dome tweeters on the a pillars. I went through every brand known to man in 4x6s in the dash using bass blockers,high pass filters on head unit an on amplifiers an i came to a couple of conclusions bass blockers sound like crap, high pass filter on head unit doesn't provide much power sounds like crap an an amp of any worth will blow them. Moral to the story 4x6 speakers any brand are garbage lol. I'm running just over 2500 watts on my mids an highs now an I've never had an issue. Think outside the box cut a hole in that dash grill throw a little glass on it an put something besides a 4x6 in it. Good luck

Quick Reply: Upgrading speakers in my 2000 Blazer LT?