Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Using the brake causes the radio to turn off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 11:45 PM
drshay5 is on a distinguished road
Default Using the brake causes the radio to turn off?

I got this 95 Blazer LT from an auto auction. It did not have a radio, so I picked up an after market head and installed it using a wiring harness. However, whenever I brake suddenly, the radio turns off and then turns back on. I also noticed that when I brake, any dask lights dim and then brighten back up after I take my foot off the brake. I double checked the wires and all the connections I made between the head unit's wiring harness and the aftermarket one that the stock plugs will plug into. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Old 05-22-2010, 11:47 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by drshay5
I got this 95 Blazer LT from an auto auction. It did not have a radio, so I picked up an after market head and installed it using a wiring harness. However, whenever I brake suddenly, the radio turns off and then turns back on. I also noticed that when I brake, any dask lights dim and then brighten back up after I take my foot off the brake. I double checked the wires and all the connections I made between the head unit's wiring harness and the aftermarket one that the stock plugs will plug into. Any thoughts? Thanks!
uhh yea thats a really bizarre problem, it sounds like the brake pump is drawing too much voltage and is just causing a lack of voltage to everything else...have you replaced the battery yet? maybe its going bad?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:27 PM

Yeah, I just got a new battery... but it's interesting... I'm looking at the gauge cluster and voltmeter states the battery is pushing about 9 volts after I installed a brand new battery.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

9 volts before you turn the truck on or while the motor is running?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:42 PM

While the engine is running... And it's alittle bit above the red box right after 9 volts...

Old 05-23-2010, 11:50 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by drshay5
While the engine is running... And it's alittle bit above the red box right after 9 volts...
yea ummm thats wayyyyy too low for running voltage, mine runs at just around 14volts with a normal alternator and same as stock battery

Old 05-23-2010, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Check your alternator. it could be that its not charging the system right, it could be a lot of things but the battery and alternator are 2 things i also check first and second

Old 05-25-2010, 10:12 AM

I did a load test on the alternator yesterday. It showed the correct volts and amps. Any other thoughts?

Old 05-25-2010, 10:58 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

My car did something similar for a while after installing a stero. But, mine would do it when putting on the brakes to shift from reverse to drive. It went away after I installed a new battery. Very weird though and still don't understand what caused it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:42 AM

I've already installed a new battery though..

Quick Reply: Using the brake causes the radio to turn off?