Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What brand to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:22 PM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road
Default What brand to buy?

Alright everyone, i'm back with yet another thread on my ongoing speaker problems. Now i'm off the idea of getting subs and thinking replacing the six factory speakers in my truck, i think it will give me enough bass while giving me much cleaner music. However, i'm not exactly sure which company to buy from, i was first thinking alpine's but i want to make sure i'm not missing anything. Any ideas on what brands to buy and where to buy them in the Detroit area or online?

If you want to instant message for an easier discussion message me on aim at NeverTooLate3DG anytime.

Thanks everyone!!!

Old 11-10-2009, 11:46 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

i have alpine 4x6's and jl 6.5s in all four doors. that being said, brand is a question you should answer for yourself. It's all opinion. Unless you have a brand in mind, or are looking for reliable CHEAP components, it's just opinion mang.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 AM
old 5k0ol is on a distinguished road

i agree completely. there are a lot of good brands. jl audio, boston acoustics, bose, alpine, kicker... the list goes on. if u keep yourself away from the bottom of the line models you'll get good sound. a lot depends on your reciever and Eq also.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Do you have an aftermarket head unit? That alone makes a HUGE difference in sound quality, I'm still running the stock Delco's with an aftermarket deck and 10" sub in the back, sounds great, nice and crisp!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

I currently have all the stock parts in my blazer. I was thinking about replacing the head unit but know nothing about them or even whatthey do. Could someone help me out with this? And how much might a decent head unit cost? I have just started withcaraudio systems and would love to learn a ton I just need to know where to start.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Starting Member
C.Blazer is on a distinguished road

Alright well it depends what your looking for in your head unit. If you want an AUX input or USB direct, your going to pay a bit more, although almsot every head unit comes with at least an AUX. I recently put one into my girlfriends car for her. A nice Sony unit cost like $120CDN at futureshop. It has AUX and a bluetooth as well so you can talk on your phone handsfree. the link for this is here http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...66&catid=10174

Start with a head unit before moving onto speakers as previously stated. A unit like the one above is probably the cheapest your going to find that is still name brand and good quality. If you want to spend more theres of course higher priced units. I have this in my Blazer http://www.eclipse-web.com/us/cd/cd3200overviews.html
This deck retails for around $300 but has more features (I can change the colour of my buttons, adds so much more customization and is just cool)

As for speakers, after the headunit speakers are all ones preference, again, as stated above. Some people will love Alpine, others will hate it (maybe not Alpine, most seem to love, you know what I mean) Try to go to the same store where you get your deck from, most stores will have a few different set ups with decks to speakers to subs and so on. If they have your deck on display, you can hear what your exact deck will sound like pushing different speakers, ultimatly giving you the sound you feel is best.

Same goes for speakers price wise. You can get cheap ones for $75 a pair, keeping name brand.
Ex. http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...gon=&langid=EN

These are name brand and still cost efficient.

OR you can go more expensive and go for something like this
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10098217&catid=
These are just insane. lol

I opted to go in between with these
http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...10106934&catid=

And couldnt be less happy, although I only did my front door speakers.

The sound aspect is PURE opinion. Go with what YOU think sounds best for your money.

Get a dope sub though lol check out Digital Designs kicks HARD!

Old 11-11-2009, 11:35 AM

I feel sorta stupid asking this buy what is the head unit? What does it do?

Old 11-11-2009, 11:48 AM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
I feel sorta stupid asking this buy what is the head unit? What does it do?
lol, its the thing with the volume ****. its essentially what powers the speakers (in your case). depending on the one you get, you can control the EQ, Subs, even color of the display and much more. i recommend getting a good one, brand doesnt matter, its your choice. something with 2-3 4Volt pre-outs, just incase you want to go bigger. ive got this http://forumdesk.com/2009/02/27/pion...ux-ipod-ready/ and its sleek and not too crazy. but the amount of seetings i have are unreal. i can control my whole ipod down to changing playlists with the headunit. i have sub control, bass boost, EQ, shuffle, repeat, too much.

ita all prefrence on what brand to get. got to futureshop or best buy for opinions. dont buy yet, come back and post a link of it here and well give you an idea of the quality.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:56 AM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

The head unit is your radio basically.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by cbr995
The head unit is your radio basically.
yup. if you want to do a search on crutchfield just for some ideas we can help you as well

Quick Reply: What brand to buy?