Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What do you guys think?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 12:20 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough
Default What do you guys think?

So I sold my infinity 10" and rockford amp to my friend. Looking to go a little bigger and better. And my friend I bough the infinity from has another good deal (maybe). I was originally thinking about getting a little more powerful 10" but I had to hook these up and try them out. Not 100% sure if I like them or not or 100% sure about the specs. They are 2 nice looking 12" alpines in a ported or sealed box and some 2000 watt amp. They are deffinatly louder than my little 10" my friend isn't sure how much he wants for the box 2 subs and amp. What do you guys think would be a resonable price? I was thinking maybe $300.

teaser pic

Old 08-09-2010, 09:09 AM
Starting Member
JShark is on a distinguished road

well consider you can get 2 of them new for less then $300. type r's sound great ported, they can be sloppy sometimes when it comes to quick kicks. i have heard type r's in sealed boxes sound bad but iv never tried it myself. great subs in all though, i love mine.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-TYPE+R-.html

Old 08-09-2010, 12:53 PM
BF Veteran

the box was sealed when I first put it in and they did sound horrible, ported they sound good. I think I'm going to buy them depending on if the price is right

Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Seems like a nice deal

Old 08-09-2010, 02:08 PM
Starting Member
whyteb0y is on a distinguished road

What kind of amp is it?

What I've noticed with some amps that claim to be 2000 watts is, a lot of times, they're nowhere even close to that. Especially if they're a cheaper brand.

When buying used car audio and I'm not sure about the price, what I do is usually check out places like eBay and see what they're going for and use that as a reference point.

Those subs look to be in good shape, see if he'd go like 250 and start there.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
BF Veteran

I'm guessing the amp is 1000 watts rms since the subs are 500 watts. from what they looked like they seem almost brand new. My friend said it was used maybe 10 times. (my friend is selling it for another friend) I'm not all really that interested in the specs of the amp since it seems like it powers the subs fine. It doesn't matter to me all that much that I'm getting all of the power the subs can put out since I'll probably have them turned down most of the time. I'll offer $250 and see what he says, theres a capacitor that is with the settup and I really don't want it so hopefully that'll help knock off some of the price.

Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

You want a ported or bandpass enclosure for a blazer period. Sealed will get horrible bass.

If you want my opinion and what i'm doing (I know I don't have a build thread..)

Get some paper and trace the outline of the base of your trunk. This will be the bottom of your sub box. With this paper template, cut out your 3 1/4" MDF.

Go to a fabric store and get nylon.

Use tinfoil and cover over the interior of your trunk because your going to get messy.

Use some dowels to support the nylon to shape a nice curved box in your trunk.

Once complete. Start using fibreglass on your nylon.

Once the fibreglass has cured. Take out your box (after a few coatings)

Get kitty hair and reinforce your box.

Once a few layers are applied get yourself some PVC tubing and create a port wherever. (I prefer center).

Glue and fibreglass in the port. Dont be shy as this will need to be sturdy.

Keep Fibreglassing everything.

Cut out sub holes.

Sand fibreglass then prime.

Once smooth paint it , mount your subs and you have a nice box. You can build this for under 100 bones and can incorporate anything into your fibreglass. I like to carve out thhe foam manican (sp?) faces to make the scream and glass them in all over. Looks mean as hell.

Wha-la! Bitchin looking system.
More primer, more primer, more primer.

Old 08-09-2010, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran

I was thinking about fiber glassing, to maximize my trunk space, but isn't that fairly difficult to make a fiber glass ported box?

Old 08-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Banned
Topsecret66 is on a distinguished road

It's a common misconception.

Fibreglassing is like painting a wall in your house. IF you **** you you can sand and redo it on the fly.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran

I decided against getting the alpines. I'm going to stick with what I originally wanted.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tchlink:top:en

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Sound...ar_Audio_Video

then everything in my system will match. all polk speakers and sound storm amps, and I'm sticking with my box I have it should give me some more kick

Quick Reply: What do you guys think?