Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

What gets me the best sound for my money?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2006, 04:26 AM
kornphlake is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What gets me the best sound for my money?

I'm trying to decide what to buy here and I was pretty certain I was going to hook up 6.5" co-axial speakers to a 4X40W amp and call it a day, but now I'm wondering if the money I'd spend on an amp wouldn't be better spent on a pair of component speakers for the front and run the speakers off the headunit? I listen to mostly rock if that makes a differance and I drive on the freeway a lot so enough volume to overcome the road noise is needed but I hate distortion, I'd rather not hear the music than have to hear distortion. I don't think my budget will permit both components and an amp.

So what's the best choice, an amp or component speakers?

Old 04-13-2006, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: What gets me the best sound for my money?

whats ur budget?

Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

get yourself a good pair of 6.5s and a 4 channel and bridge them for the meantime. When you get some more funds get yourself a good set of 6x9s and use the other channel on the amp. I think you'll like what you hear.

Old 04-13-2006, 11:35 PM

My budget is around $350 for 4 speakers and/or an amp. I don't plan on adding a sub because I need the cargo space.

Binz, are you suggesting that a single pair of coaxial speakers given plenty of juice will sound better than component speakers pushing less than 20 Watts? I'd prefer to keep the stock speaker locations and sizes, if I'll hear a differance I can cut a couple of small holes for component tweeters but that's about as far as I want to go as far a modifications to door panels go.

Old 04-14-2006, 01:35 AM
Binz316 is an unknown quantity at this point

no not at all, components imo are always the way to go! they'll give ya great mid-range and awesome highs but they'll need a amp. take a look at this stuff: (I'm trying to stay around your budget)

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/mral4chcaram.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/spal6tyrcarc.html
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/csexpo/spr694aal6x9.html

all alpine right around 350, but take a look and see if something else catches your eye

Old 04-14-2006, 02:29 AM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Hell, I've got an older MRV-F305 alpine amp laying around. Just had it hooked up to my mids, here are the specs

RMS Power per channel into 4 ohms: 30w x 4
RMS Power per channel into 2 ohms: 40w x 4
RMS Power Bridged 4 ohms: 80w x 2.

You can have it for 50 plus shipping. I'll even throw in some 10 gauge power and ground wire to hook it up, RCA's and the remote wire hook-up.

Then you can buysome better speakers, 6.5's and 6x9's such as Diamond Audio, or boston Acc. Check out http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...&category_id=9.

I had the amp listed above hooked up to my boston 6.5's and 6x9's and it was rockin.

Let me know. Hope we have all been helpful

Old 04-14-2006, 03:11 AM

Hillbilly,

PM sent

Thanks to everyone else. With Hillbilly's generous offer it looks like I might be able to afford a better quality set of speakers than I'd anticipated and an amp!

Old 04-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Administrator

think these are a steal,
other sites list them as 159 + 20 for shipping. these are 133 shipped.Boston Acc speakers

Old 04-19-2006, 05:25 PM

I ended up ordering some of those Boston Acoustics speakers, they should be here on Monday. Thanks for finding that deal for me, I looked at ebay a couple days ago for that exact item and didn't find that particular auction.

Where is the best place to mount the tweeters? I'm thinking in the door panel just below the power window and lock switches, I don't really want to have to drill holes and run wire up through the dash and the sail panel gets blocked by the dash. Do all use a hole saw to cut the holes for the tweeters or is there a better way to cut the door panel?

Old 04-19-2006, 05:35 PM
Administrator

yea, that will work. I usually mount them on the dash, cause you want them kind of high for clarity. a hole saw will work, just take the panel off and be really careful. If you break any of those little clips to hold door panel on, don't worry, you can buy those at autozone. Think its 16 for 4 bucks

Quick Reply: What gets me the best sound for my money?