Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

what is a good amp for my subs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road
Default what is a good amp for my subs?

can anyone give me a list of amps that will power my subs? they are 10" planet audio 300 watt, dual voice coil, dual 4-ohm (that seems to be the problem) any ideas?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

im assuming you have 2? whats the issue with Dual 4ohm subs? you wire them down to 2ohms then wire the pair down to 1ohm.

Old 09-10-2009, 10:57 AM
Starting Member
midnightmekanik is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
can anyone give me a list of amps that will power my subs? they are 10" planet audio 300 watt, dual voice coil, dual 4-ohm (that seems to be the problem) any ideas?
You can do what jagblazer said, or wire the them at 2ohms each, and run each to a channel on the amp. Every *decent* amp can easily handle 2ohm stereo. As for 1 ohm, only a few can handle that, and they will hurt your pocket book more than your ears.

Those subs, are they 300 watts max or rms? There are a number of amps that could easily power them... Just stay away from Sony, Pyramid, Pyle (newer ones since bought out by pyramid), Lanzar (same situation as pyle), Boss, Shaker, Earthquake (new ones are crap), and Kenwood.

I have seen people skimp on costs and get these amps with brutal results. They would pay a couple hundred for a pair of subs then only budget for $100 amp

Good brands : Phoenix Gold, Soundstream, Orion, Alphasonik (careful with knock offs), MTX (some are decent), Alpine V12's, JBL, JL, Memphis, Eclipse, US Amps, Kaption, Power Acoustik (older ones, new ones are garbage), PPI, Fosgate, Kicker... You get the picture...

Alot of these amps can be found on ebay for a good price. I just picked up my PPI 5 channel for my upcoming build for $240 CAD shipped. My amp is rated at 4x80 RMS @ 4ohms and 1x200 RMS @ 4ohms (1x450 RMS @ 2ohm which is what I'll be running )

Old 09-10-2009, 11:37 AM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

you can probably grab a nice pioneer amp for them

Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Bravado is on a distinguished road

The Planet Audio TQ302 is made for your subs. So do this this to each sub

and hook it up to this amp

Here's the link to the Planet Audio amp: http://www.planetaudiousa.com/main/601

Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
Beginning Member

God this stuff is so complicated . I hate electrinics. engines are so straitforward...

lol anyways they are 300 max, 150 rms. i figured the dude at the audio place was messin with me. he told me the only one that would work was this $270 powerbass.

bravado: thanks and do you know how much that costs?

Old 09-10-2009, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
God this stuff is so complicated
haha I thrive for this stuff; just all the numbers and factors...it brings me to my "happy place"...if that makes sense

Anyway, eBay doesn't have it :-/, but the cheapest I could find is $95; it's a $180 amp, so you'd be hard pressed to find cheaper.

http://www.audio-warehouse.com/web/mdl/TQ302/detail.asp

Last edited by Bravado; 09-10-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

looks good. do they make em in more than 150 rms? cuz since i got 2 that would be kinda weak wouldnt it?

nevermind, nevermind i got it. thanks bud

Old 09-10-2009, 04:07 PM

Ok, sure you got it all? :-D

Old 09-10-2009, 04:13 PM
Beginning Member

i have no idea lol
but i am gonna check with the guy i got the subs from to see what he has

Last edited by offroadwnc; 09-10-2009 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: what is a good amp for my subs?