Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

what high output alternator to go with

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Beginning Member
ryankinder82 is on a distinguished road

heres the website to the alternator. anybody every used them or heard about them. http://www.db-starter-alternator.com...%2000%208231-5.

how do you think the volts will be with this alternator and no extra batteries.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:23 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Looks like a good alt. Has high output at idle. You want a 2nd if not 3rd battery from Kinetik or optima yellow tops. That alot of power and could cause you problems if not set up correctly.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Starting Member
95Jimmy is on a distinguished road

I bought a 200 amp alt from them several years ago for my mustang and never had a problem with it. I just bought the one you listed for my Jimmy a month or so ago. Just got my stereo put in a few days ago and haven't had much time to mess with it but I can crank most music up without the volt gauge dropping at idle at all. I put in a few competition bass CD's and it finally started to drop but if I brought the rpm's up a little over 1000 the volt gauge went back up to where it was supposed to be. I thought about getting a yellow top but haven't had good luck with Optima's in the past and the warranty sucks. BTW I did the big 3 and a few extra grounds, ran 0 gauge to the amps and am running an MTX 81000 to 2 L7 12's and an Infinity 100 rmsx4 to Infinity components. Also if you buy it off of Ebay you can get it a little cheaper

Old 02-07-2010, 10:54 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Looks like a good alt. Has high output at idle. You want a 2nd if not 3rd battery from Kinetik or optima yellow tops. That alot of power and could cause you problems if not set up correctly.

I would not recommend running a battery from Optima. Since they were bought from interstate quality has gone down hill. I've had countless replacements on my truck and other vehicles that have had them not to mention horror storys that can be found around the web.

If you are looking for a decent battery go with Odyssey,Kinetik or Powermaster.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:30 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TheBrettster
I would not recommend running a battery from Optima. Since they were bought from interstate quality has gone down hill. I've had countless replacements on my truck and other vehicles that have had them not to mention horror storys that can be found around the web.

If you are looking for a decent battery go with Odyssey,Kinetik or Powermaster.

I agree, I used to be a big optima fan and they are all I would run but since the takeover they have turned to crap.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:21 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by neo71665
I agree, I used to be a big optima fan and they are all I would run but since the takeover they have turned to crap.
Oh, I didn't know they were taken over. I was just putting out a common name. I am looking at kinetik personally.

Old 02-08-2010, 05:09 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Personally I like deka intimidator now. You can pay full price for one or go to car quest or oreillys and buy a re-labeled one cheaper.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:58 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TheBrettster
I would not recommend running a battery from Optima. Since they were bought from interstate quality has gone down hill. ...........If you are looking for a decent battery go with Odyssey,Kinetik or Powermaster.
see, you learn something new every day. when did Interstate buy Optima?

personally, i've never had any issues with the top line Motomaster (Canadian Tire brand) batteries.

i even left both batteries in my 'Burb last Wnter-hooked up and no battery minder i forgot!

but no worries *whew*, she lit the glow plugs in the Spring, and fired right up. and just so you know, my garage isn't heated or insulated, and it still has the 10 year old wooden 16 foot door, on it.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:20 PM
dimone545 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had no clue optima was bought out... I was gonna buy one in the next couple of weeks too. I guess I need to start looking for a new battery elsewhere.

Old 02-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Beginning Member
ryankinder82 is on a distinguished road

i talked with kinetik and im going to go with the 160 amp alternator and a hc2400 battery. they said that would be plenty for what i have. ill let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: what high output alternator to go with