Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Where did I go wrong??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2006, 06:30 PM
SniperX13 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where did I go wrong??

Alright, I hooked up a amp I got, to my 10' sub. and as soon as I power on the radio, I immediately get

*thump* *thump* *thump* *thump* in very rapid succession. it doesnt stop if the radio, or cd player is active. but stops when the radio is turned off.

the subwoofer feature on my radio is turned off.

the fuse from the battery is still good.

do I not have it grounded correctly? I hooked the ground directly to a screw into the frame, right between the tailgate and the rear hatch. There was already a black band looking thing attached to it.

the RCA cables are hooked to the (R) preouts.

Old 06-21-2006, 07:52 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future
Default RE: Where did I go wrong??

check to make sure u have the subs wired correctly

Old 06-21-2006, 08:34 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

Check the ground and turn ALL the settings on the amp down. So Def. make sure the frequency is down all the way for sure.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

check to make sure u have the subs wired correctly

how would that effect the sub doing this, only when the radio is turned on. Could that mean it might have something to do with the remote? because the Sub is turned off in the head unit.

Old 06-21-2006, 09:43 PM

how will this help? you must excuse me, I have forgotten more than I knew.

Old 06-21-2006, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
XBlazer01 has a spectacular aura aboutXBlazer01 has a spectacular aura about

trust me the signal is too strong when going into the sub. Its some of those weird ways subs work. One of the guys in my club his subs were doing it and I walked over and just turned all the settings down and it stopped doing it.

Its either your settings are to high or they're fried/frying [:@]
(im pretty sure on that. Althhough wait for FatRyan cause he SHOULD be able to tell the exact problem)

Cause later on they burned up after he decided to turn em back up [:-]

Old 06-22-2006, 06:48 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

id love to sweep in her and tell you axactly what to do, but its quite difficult without hearing it myself, lol. are the thumps rhythmic or sparatic? to they sound like bass notes or something else (crack, pop, etc)? just to start, make sure you DO have a solid ground. you need to sand the metal bery well. test your ground with a multi meter. make sure it reads proper voltage and check the resistance too. also, you should test your preouts. check them with the multi meter too to see if theyre putting out voltage when theyre not supposed to. however, if you got the sub setting off, but the sub hooked up to the rear, it shouldnt turn the sub off...

Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 PM
97blazer44 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know exactly the sound your talking about, it will make low thumping noise even when there isnt a cd being played. Its the ground you dont have a good connection. your gonna have to find a better ground because even if you had your amp all the way up, the subs shouldnt make any noise if there is nothing playing.

Old 06-23-2006, 12:17 AM

Thanks to everyone who replied. I took everyone's advice, and I scraped off the paint from where I had the ground connected, so now it is on bare metal. I enlarged the hole a bit and used a bigger bolt, so it touches the inside of the outer metal body.

I now have nice clean bass that doesn't thump.

it's hard to believe something that simple could effect it so much.

Old 06-23-2006, 03:45 AM
FatRyan is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: SniperX13

Thanks to everyone who replied. I took everyone's advice, and I scraped off the paint from where I had the ground connected, so now it is on bare metal. I enlarged the hole a bit and used a bigger bolt, so it touches the inside of the outer metal body.

I now have nice clean bass that doesn't thump.

it's hard to believe something that simple could effect it so much.
its always the simple things in life that drive us ****in nuts!! lol glad to hear you fixed it.

Quick Reply: Where did I go wrong??