Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Where did you place the ground for your amplifier?? Suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

I havnt had a chance to bolt my amp ground yet and i went to ace hardware and bought a screw and washer and some sand paper

Originally Posted by boomtruck97
i use phillips head self tapers, and a crimp on copper ring. sand to bare metal and make a new hole. i also usually run the big 3 and extra Frame-2-Chassis straps (about 6 for a blazer) just to make sure its good.

Hmm...Where exactly did you place yuour grounds?? Im curious. On my big 3 i used 0 gauge tsunami oxygen free compotition power wire and i ran one ground to the bolt that is on the alternator bracket and the other ground to the frame. Are these good spots?? You mentioned adding more grounds. Hmm... Where and how?? THNX

Old 03-08-2010, 11:37 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Hey, on my 2 door, i used the bolt used to hold the spare tire holder down... i sanded the floor down to bare metal, replaced the black bolt with a regular steel bolt (just as a stupid precaution) and painted the head black. I also mounted the amps to a piece of MDF that i also mounted my sub box to.. This way if i need to take it out, it comes out as one and i'm not messing with any of the interior or drilling (IMO) unnecessary holes into it.. look in the jack location and see if there are any bolts for there

Old 03-09-2010, 03:27 PM
boomtruck97 is an unknown quantity at this point

the grounds are not needed but i just always have since i ran to big of a system and ran into issues. (it was running 24k rms in a shop comp vehicle) but i just use a couple 6 inch peices of 8 gauge wire with crimp on eyes on each end, sand down spot on frame - shoot self tapper - sand chassis spot (i try to find bent weld points so no screw going up through floor) and shoot another self tapper. i then go back and seal with a under coating of some sort to protect against corrosion.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:39 AM
pka
pka is an unknown quantity at this point

In my 2dr Model in between the two back seats there is a bolt covered by a plastic cap, I just wired it to that and it looks very clean because the amp sits on the box right over the gap

Old 03-18-2010, 10:28 AM
BlazerGuy2001 is on a distinguished road

I attached mine to the taillight grounds that are attached to the rear pillars...seems to work well idk if it's the best idea though

Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 PM
Starting Member
ExplicitYourSelf is on a distinguished road

the problem was actually the amps cap thats inside the amp im getting it repaired by kicker $60 and $8 parts thanks for the feed back

Old 03-23-2010, 07:37 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BlazerGuy2001
I attached mine to the taillight grounds that are attached to the rear pillars...seems to work well idk if it's the best idea though
I had mine there up until last week. Put it at the seat bolt location and its 100x better. Wasn't able to have my system that loud at idle but now I can crank it pretty loud and NOOOOO voltage drop.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by zedartwo
I had mine there up until last week. Put it at the seat bolt location and its 100x better. Wasn't able to have my system that loud at idle but now I can crank it pretty loud and NOOOOO voltage drop.
wait what exactly did this do? allowed you to play it louder and no voltage drop?? why??

Old 03-23-2010, 08:51 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Its all in the ground. The better the ground the better the outcome. Yours is behind the plastic right behind the brake light right? Small little self taping screw? If the wire is bigger than 12 gauge than that screw is too small. Its not that I can play it louder its just better for your system.

Old 03-23-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by zedartwo
Its all in the ground. The better the ground the better the outcome. Yours is behind the plastic right behind the brake light right? Small little self taping screw? If the wire is bigger than 12 gauge than that screw is too small. Its not that I can play it louder its just better for your system.
thats really interesting and yea that is the screw im talking about, i have one amp grounded to each side, but maybe i will relocate them now, do you think it will be a noticeable difference? one amp runs at 300 watts rms and the other 500rms

Quick Reply: Where did you place the ground for your amplifier?? Suggestions...