Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Whole system is installed...but problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:14 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Whole system is installed...but problems!!!

I installed the following today:

4 channel amp 90 rms x 4 @ 4ohm
2 channel amp 900rms x 2 @ 2ohm
2 kicker subs
4 polk 6.5s
DVD HU

Well since I got two amps now I am having issues. When I turn the HU up a lot I loose my subs. Like at mid volume the subs are loudest, but anything more then that it seams like my subs dont have enough power provided to them to give it the boom. I have a capacitor coming, will that help?

Also, where would you install a cap in a 2 amp system?

Old 11-19-2007, 10:20 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation
Default RE: Whole system is installed...but problems!!!

What are your amps doing? are they shutting off?? How did you set your gains?? Where is your ground wire at??? how did you get power to both amps?? (seperate power wires from batt or into a distro block)

and I wouldnt install a cap anywhere. at all.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 PM
cloak01ls is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds like your sub amp's gain is improperly set and you are experiencing 'clipping' at 50% volume and above. Gain is not a volume ****, most people think that it is. you should check where this is set. It should not be up any more than about 75% in general...Theres a more precise way to set your gains but is usually a bit hard if you dont have a tuned ear for sound...

As far as the capacitor if you have allready purchased this I would advise you to either return/sell it if you can, or just put it on your mids/highs amp...

Old 11-19-2007, 10:35 PM

No cap at all? A cap is like a second battery right...everyone tells me to install one unless I want my alternator/battery to die.

Anyways the 4 channel amp is powering the speakers, 2 channel the subs. A main power feed comes to the rear into a distro block and powers the two amps. Grounds are good, right to the frame...

I havnt checked the gains yet, but they shouldnt be any different then when I set them before.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

No cap at all? A cap is like a second battery right...everyone tells me to install one unless I want my alternator/battery to die.
Capacitors are a band-aid on a bullet wound. If you really do have a charging problem then your best options are to upgrade the "Big 3"...Add a secondary battery...Or upgrade to a high output alternator...Of course this is all assuming you have no installation errors resulting in voltage problems...

A capacitor will actually aid in the death of your alt/batt, not help it survive...

Old 11-20-2007, 12:35 PM

I have a hard time believing that. All the professional audio installers I have talked to said it acts as a second battery. Each time your subs hit it makes a surge to your battery which makes the ions group which in time causes death to your battery. Once your battery starts dieing your alternator has to work harder which makes them both die. By putting in a cap, the cap will take the abuse while the battery and alt can worry about what it was designed to do. While the cap is meant to take the abuse so the whole point I am making is that there is no reason you shouldnt have a cap. Either way thats my opinion from what I have gathered, it may be wrong but its what I believe.

Also, my DVD player will not play dvds unless my parking brake is on. Anyone know how to disable this? There must be a wire I can snip...

Old 11-20-2007, 12:54 PM

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

I have a hard time believing that. All the professional audio installers I have talked to said it acts as a second battery. Each time your subs hit it makes a surge to your battery which makes the ions group which in time causes death to your battery. Once your battery starts dieing your alternator has to work harder which makes them both die. By putting in a cap, the cap will take the abuse while the battery and alt can worry about what it was designed to do. While the cap is meant to take the abuse so the whole point I am making is that there is no reason you shouldnt have a cap. Either way thats my opinion from what I have gathered, it may be wrong but its what I believe.
Read This write up and you will understand completely...

Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

caps are a gimmick. waste of time, money, and effort.

Old 11-20-2007, 02:32 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

actually, the cap will put another strain on your alternator, as it is something else to charge. I am a professional audio installer (acutally opened three very successful shops) and have been doing this for about 14 years. I would not ever put a cap in, unless only for aestetic purposes.

and for the bypass, what make and model is your dvd player???

Old 11-20-2007, 04:23 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

A cap can make a nice voltage display... But that's about it...

The ONLY way it'll really help anything, is if your lights are dimming and you were to wire it to your lights, lol.

But then, it's still a band-aid.

Turn your gain all the way down, crank the stereo volume, and turn the gain up until you hear distortion, then back it off a little...
Not the most professional way of doing it, but that's how I did mine, lol.

ORIGINAL: cloak01ls

It sounds like your sub amp's gain is improperly set and you are experiencing 'clipping' at 50% volume and above. Gain is not a volume ****, most people think that it is. you should check where this is set. It should not be up any more than about 75% in general...Theres a more precise way to set your gains but is usually a bit hard if you dont have a tuned ear for sound...

As far as the capacitor if you have allready purchased this I would advise you to either return/sell it if you can, or just put it on your mids/highs amp...

My gains are at less than 25%...

Quick Reply: Whole system is installed...but problems!!!