Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Whole system is installed...but problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Whole system is installed...but problems!!!

yep, deck output voltage will affect the gain setting, right.....

Old 11-20-2007, 08:03 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok well is there a reason I shouldnt install a cap? Why do they make them if they dont do anything? Why do professionals install them on their rides to make some of the best sound system setups?

My deck is the following. The deck has one pink wire coming out of it labled brake, that is hooked up to one yellow wire which enables videos to be played when parking brake is enabled. When I unhook the two wires it still wont work. The only thing I could think of is putting a resistor in the end of the pink wire to make the video player think the parking brake is always enabled. I am not sure, I think that is wrong but it was my best guess...

Click me to see my deck

Old 11-20-2007, 08:16 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Some decks, grounding out that wire will make it work...

A cap is a short term cover up for an electrical problem... That, and they look pretty.

Old 11-20-2007, 08:33 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point

bought as useful as a AAA battery

Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

ORIGINAL: cliro

bought as useful as a AAA battery

actually, according to the article, an infinitefarad cap is less useful than a 9V battery

Old 11-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Starting Member
S10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, question for you guys. After reading all this, and seeing something today, I want to ask you guys something. I am lost with all this stuff, with amp gain, etc. My Profile California AP1200 watt amp, has a remote that was installed under the dash. That remote, has a ****, and it is connected to what looks like a telephone cord to my amp. Is that the "amp gain" that you guys are talking about? Should I try setting that low to try to solve my problem? Also, I noticed something else today. Today, I lowered the bass volume on my headunit. My bass volume goes up to volume 8. I put it on volume 40. I have noticed that when it was on 4, I get less dimming and less voltage drops. I still get the dimming and voltage drops, but only when the bass is really strong. Do you guys see anything wrong there? I am still going to get it checked out, but I wanted to know if this would tell you guys anything.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

Well, one reason to not install a cap, is if your electrical cannot keep up with the charging of your battery, running your car and your amp, Sure lets add another thing into the system that needs charged. Do you see the problem with that????

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

Ok well is there a reason I shouldnt install a cap? Why do they make them if they dont do anything? Why do professionals install them on their rides to make some of the best sound system setups?
Well, I am a professional, the three shops I owned grossed well over a million dollars last year, (with having BB, CC, and another competitor less than a mile away), and I have never installed a cap. Ever. Period. Unless you have the power to begin with, a cap isnt going to help you.

Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: S10Blazer

Ok, question for you guys. After reading all this, and seeing something today, I want to ask you guys something. I am lost with all this stuff, with amp gain, etc. My Profile California AP1200 watt amp, has a remote that was installed under the dash. That remote, has a ****, and it is connected to what looks like a telephone cord to my amp. Is that the "amp gain" that you guys are talking about? Should I try setting that low to try to solve my problem? Also, I noticed something else today. Today, I lowered the bass volume on my headunit. My bass volume goes up to volume 8. I put it on volume 40. I have noticed that when it was on 4, I get less dimming and less voltage drops. I still get the dimming and voltage drops, but only when the bass is really strong. Do you guys see anything wrong there? I am still going to get it checked out, but I wanted to know if this would tell you guys anything.
Well, a few things on your problem. By cranking up the bass on the HU, you are sending a very very dirty signal to your amp therefore dirty power to your sub. Back off on the bass boosts, and set the gain accordingly. Does the **** say if its remote bass or remote gain?? If it is the former, then the highest setting will only go to where you have your gain set, and back to 0. If its remote gain, throw it away. you will eventually kill your sub by sending a clipped signal. Bad news bears

Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: nofear17bmx

Why do they make them if they dont do anything? Why do professionals install them on their rides to make some of the best sound system setups?
caps are ONLY helpfull AFTER upgrading your alternator, battery, and big 3. Caps are added to high end systems for a :just incase" scenario. 99.9% of the time, their car will never use the power reserve in the cap and the carging system will keep up with the power demands. For that .01% that the caps power is needed it will use it and be able to fill the cap back up without ease.

Old 11-20-2007, 10:04 PM
Administrator

I do however, see a benefit of Caps in higher wattage systems, where a cap can help regulate and smoothe out voltage spikes. But adding a capacitor to a system whose components are already in question is just wasting money. How about you just paypal me the money that you would spent on the cap, and we talk on the phone and get your situation straightened out, or I can buy beer!!..lol

Quick Reply: Whole system is installed...but problems!!!