Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Will my system be any louder if I get a more powerful sub?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:30 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Will my system be any louder if I get a more powerful sub?

well actually I really like my alpine too, sounded very nice.......seemed to hit about 60hz and up better than the sundown

but the sundown sure is louder below that.

some guy got 1 10" type R to hit 150db, so its deffinatly durable, and built well, im sure you wouldnt be dissapointed. I'd still vote a ported box to optimize the power you have.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

My 300W lightning audio amp would make the lights in my S10 dim like crazy... But my Alpine hardly made a dent unless I was idling...

Old 10-15-2007, 07:36 AM
BF Veteran

soooooo, 150rms made your lights dim? I think you had bigger problems, ahah.

on a good 50hz note at idle I can get my voltage to drop to a 1/4 on the gauge. probably not good lol

Old 10-15-2007, 07:51 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

the best system is one that matches only a very few mismatched systems work well so product matching is always the best when doing a system setup. another thing is by adding an optima battery backed with a capacitor will make your lights not dim at all. when i had my 99 nissan maxima i was running a red top optima with a 1 farad capacitor and stock alternator k for what was running off of that was my 3 10" rockford fosgate hx2's plus 2 1000 watt fosgate amps and to top that off i had and air ride system on my car so my compressor which was a dc5000 ran off that at the same time and my headlights didn't even flick there was no drain on the system i even tested it and the draw to charge rate didn't even budge.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:09 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: blazinloud

soooooo, 150rms made your lights dim? I think you had bigger problems, ahah.

on a good 50hz note at idle I can get my voltage to drop to a 1/4 on the gauge. probably not good lol
Yeah, it's called a "55 amp alternator" that GM gave the older, carbed 2.8s... a peak of 75 amps!

But, on the plus side, going to my Alpine amp with 350W RMS dimmed the lights LESS, lol.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:14 AM
BF Veteran

what do you mean mismatched systems dont work well? of course they do,usually better than matching ones. some companies make better drivers, other make better amps....mix and match to get the best of both worlds.

caps are a waste of money.

I'd like to call BS on the no voltage drop also.

theres no way you'd holda steady 14.4 with that kinda load

Old 10-15-2007, 08:22 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

i had the voltage tested by a tech at the dealership no b.s. it held a steady 14 volts, also with the mismatched comment i said only a very few mismatched systems work well together, the way you make it sound as if you were to take for example road gear speakers and put them with alpine subs and amps no its not going to sound good thats why i said only a few sound good im not ******* mismatched systems at all i agree that they are good if they are matched well.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:46 AM
BF Veteran

betcha 95% of car stereos are mismatched and are da bomb.........many, many companies only make subs, or only make amps.

sundown for example only makes 1 sub right now rated at like 200rms.......but they make a 3000 watt amp.....think they were meant to be paired up? probably not.

Old 10-16-2007, 08:15 AM
BF Veteran

Both have the potential to be swanky awesome, but not all manufacturers produce all the components, or good ones...

For example... A Sony Explod! setup with a 10" sub would get spanked by my old setup running a Lightning Audio amp with an Alpine sub, with an MTX 4 channel amp, Alpine 6x9s, RF 4x6s (Which I really wish I could use in my Blazer, dammit!)

But an all Alpine setup would spank my old setup
It all depends on what you're doing with the setup... A class winning SPL setup is almost always built from different companies (I won't say 100% always... Because there's always the odd few, lol)

Old 12-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member
in4lo is an unknown quantity at this point

I know that 2 Type Rs in a Chrysler Sebring LXi coupe will destroy the license plate frame, the thing that holds the license plate frame to the trunk, and completely mess up the weatherstripping on the trunk.

That's run on a Rockford Fosgate Punch 1000.2.

Quick Reply: Will my system be any louder if I get a more powerful sub?