Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Wiring high powered lights

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Starting Member
sasquatchfound is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wiring high powered lights

Can any one help me find away to wire up 50 million candle watt lights on my roof rack? There will be 3 facing forword and 3 facing rear.

Thanks,

Old 08-07-2007, 11:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Wiring high powered lights

What do you need to know?? (the12volt.com)

You'll need to switch them with a relay and depending on their amp draw... So you'll have to figure out your total draw and size your relay and supply wires accordingly. You probably won't want the front and rear facing lights on the same switch so right there you will need two switches and two relays at a minimum. I prefer lighted toggle or rocker switches, but they require a ground (more wiring).

Old 08-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Starting Member

Thanks swart, will my alternator handle the power?

Thanks,

Old 08-07-2007, 11:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on the amp draw of the lights and all the other stuff you are expecting to power at the same time. If you know the true wattage of the lights, then the amps == volts/watts

Old 08-07-2007, 11:39 AM
Starting Member

Well the items that i will be running will be parabolic ear, night vision video cam, digital recorder, laptop.

Thanks,

Old 08-08-2007, 07:53 AM
nick is an unknown quantity at this point

what the hell are you doin with all that stuff lookin for Bigfoot

Old 08-08-2007, 09:23 AM
Starting Member

Well before any one laughs "I'm not crazy" I am a investigator for a research center based out of oklahoma (MABRC). I investigate many "unidentified" animal reports in the midwest there are some that i find are hoaxes, but many are well could not explain. I work with a wild life biologist and a primatologist. We have confirmed 6 Mt. lions in northern wisconsin in our investigations. I do this because it is educational and i enjoy the outdoors.there have been many reports from all types of people (average 723 a year) that have not been explained with conventional thinking.

Thanks,

Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

Wow, thats an interesting job... I guess you get to do some offroading and trail-riding in your job too?

Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

Sounds cool, I would love a job that paided me to go offroading.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Starting Member

Well this isn't my fulltime job i don't get paid for it. Although i do get some reambersment. But i do enjoy trail ridding and there have been some really remote places i have been. That is why i'm spending so much time working on my blazer to get it up to par that when next time some thing desides to run me out of the woods i can turn the tables and run it out, well maybe anyway. LOL

Thanks,

Quick Reply: Wiring high powered lights