Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

wiring in interior neons

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 09:16 PM
WhiteTie BlackJacket is an unknown quantity at this point
Default wiring in interior neons

ive been thinkin about putting some red neons under my dash and seats, and im sure it could be done i just dont know how to go about it, but i could wire them in w/ the rest of the interior lights so they came on when the doors are open etc, and then also have a switch for when the interior lights arent on?

Old 08-27-2007, 09:26 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road
Default RE: wiring in interior neons

I think you would be able to do this if you had two different positive leads to the main light and then ran each other light in parallel. What you would do is find the 12v + source from say the back of the light switch or even the positive wire from the current courtesy floor lamp. Then you would need to find a constant 12V+ source (say the cigarette lighter) and run the positive to a switch then from the switch to the lights. I could probably draw a circuit up tomorrow or sometime soon about what I am talking about to give you a better idea. Hope this info helps. If someone knows of another way please post it.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:13 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

no... you do not need two different positive leads.... use a wiring relay... it is the same principle that KC Hilites wiring harnesses use... they are set up so you can run your lights off of a switch and also have them come on with your bright lights.... basicall putting two switches on it.... the relay itself is kind of a switch that has a constant power source to it and can have multiple ways to activate it such as your interior lights coming on or a switched source..... you can get relays at any auto parts store and im sure there are plenty of diagrams on the web to show you how to wire it....

relays are used for things such as automatic headlights.... they will either be switched on by a light/dark sensor or a manual switch... whichever comes first....

Old 08-28-2007, 07:16 AM

thanks guys ill look around online to see if i can find anything. dont worry about drawing anything up lenny you dont need to do that

EDIT
just found what a_tack was talkin about i think
clicky
its for motorcycles but its the same thing
and lenny why would i need to do parallel? series would be easier wouldnt it?

Old 08-28-2007, 10:36 PM
lennyblazer is on a distinguished road

ORIGINAL: WhiteTie BlackJacket

thanks guys ill look around online to see if i can find anything. dont worry about drawing anything up lenny you dont need to do that

EDIT
just found what a_tack was talkin about i think
clicky
its for motorcycles but its the same thing
and lenny why would i need to do parallel? series would be easier wouldnt it?
yeah I forgot about relays, I havent really used those to much other than in the installation of the hi-low bem kit. Wiring in series would be easier but if you wire in parallel you will get the same amount of voltages across all the lights, that way they will light up to the same brightness. This is what i did for my Dash LED's and it works great.

EDIT: yeah and that link looks like a good source on the type of realy and how to wire it up.

Old 08-29-2007, 07:46 AM

ok good deal. i need to find somewhere to get the relay though, the reviews i read on radio shacks website most people said it blew.

Old 08-30-2007, 11:22 AM

ok igot another question
heres what ive got so far, based on the picin the link above(i know, its not all the fancy schematic symbols, but it gets the point acrosslol)
im stuck w/ the switch, how will that work? and do i need a single throw or double throw? also, are there differnt sized relays that ill have to choose from?
i think everything else is right tho, please tell me if its not

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

i may be wrong, but I think you need a 5 prong relay because you are still missing a lead to the battery..... it should go more like this

I think this would make the relay have two switches on it (your courtesey lamp and a switch) and you would need a constant power to the relay...... dont forget to ground your lights..lol

if I am wrong someone please correct me.... the last thing I want anyone to do is waste time/money on my mistake.... but im pretty sure this is how KC Hilites wiring harnesses work with a switched source and a high beam switch...im not positive though.... relays arent my strong point....

Old 08-30-2007, 12:51 PM

wait, why does it need power from the battery on the courtesy lamp side? if the relay is wired into the lamp it will get power from it when it needs it right? i would still need it from the switch side tho, thats what i forgot.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Um... That isn't how a 5 pin relay works. A 5 pin relay has a normally closed pin and a normally open pin. When the relay is not energized, the NC pin is closed and the NO pin is open. When energized, the NC opens and the NO pin closes.

Check this out: the12volt.com\Relays

And all you need is a single throw switch and a SPST relay, but SPDT relays are more common. Do you know what you are going to be using for amperage? If you put in a 30amp fuse, I'd have atleast a 30amp relay... But you may want a relay that is rated for continuous duty or get a 60amp relay to beef it up.

Quick Reply: wiring in interior neons