Audio/Video Electronics Wired up? If you have some sort of A/V modification let's hear about it here. Discussion of stock electrical problems should be done in the 'Lighting & Electrical' section.

Working on some door pods (first gen)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Blazin_Jason will become famous soon enough
Default Working on some door pods (first gen)

Working on a set of door pods (first fg project) for my first gen s15 jimmy. Speakers are PG octane zr 6.5's. I have a couple options on how to aim the speakers. I'm leaning towards mounting the mid parallel to the panel and not aiming it towards the opposite headrest, but aim the tweeter. I don't think the difference will overpower the extra space it will save for me. Or I could aim the mid towards the headrest, but it would mean that the pod will be at least 2" deeper. I plan to run these for my front stage amped off a sundown 100.2. I will no longer run the dash speakers or rear 6x9's. As you can see I already made seperate rings and I have my 1/4" hardboard ready as well.

Aim mid flat against the panel

Or aim the mid at the headrest, making the pod much larger.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:44 PM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Working on some door pods (first gen)

Lookin' good man... i would round over those edges more to make it look seemless when you glass it. As far as the aimrng, i just hooked mine up temporaily and tried to determine what sounded better, but mine are kick panels so I cant really offer any suggestions. Where on the door are they going?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:11 PM
BF Veteran
jagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant futurejagblazer01 has a brilliant future

looking good bro.......but if you are putting tweeters down there your gonna want to put either another set of tweeters up in the dash or a set of mid ranges. That way you will get the sound up higher and around ear level......

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 PM

These will be going down at the front of the doors. I might look tomorrow into cutting out some of the door and through the board to see if I can set it back a bit. I was only wanting to keep the speaker out of the door as much as possible to avoid getting any water on them. I had already planned on putting a rubber speaker cover over them. It's just that they may be out a little further than I had expected.

edit: ehhh I guess I could look into mounting the tweeters into the a pillars or something.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:06 PM

ORIGINAL: jagblazer01

looking good bro.......but if you are putting tweeters down there your gonna want to put either another set of tweeters up in the dash or a set of mid ranges. That way you will get the sound up higher and around ear level......
NOOOOOOOO... tweeters in the dash would throw the imaging waaaay off. And all the dash in a first gen does with speakers is rattle. Not good ideas IMHO. If you got good tweets and a decent HU, you can aim the tweeters to bring the soundstage up. There is no substitute for a good set (read 1 set) of components. Generally the more speakers, the worse SQ (except for midrange speakers... but they need to be up front). Adding multiple sets of tweeters is a big NONO in the world of SQ... so is "rear fill" unless you really know what you're doing.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:24 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

aiming depends on the speakers and the vehicle they are in. You need to make temp installs and see which one sounds best. Rember NOT to make a sealed enclosure for the speakers as this will greatly reduce your midbass response.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:45 PM

I'm not too concerned about the best way to mount them. I'm just looking for something better than dash speakers off the deck. I know tweeter imaging is important, where substage not so much. Just didn't know about the mids, if it makes a big difference or not. I'm not after total SQ, or I would have probably done kick panels.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:05 AM

ORIGINAL: bobditts

aiming depends on the speakers and the vehicle they are in. You need to make temp installs and see which one sounds best. Rember NOT to make a sealed enclosure for the speakers as this will greatly reduce your midbass response.
Hey ditts... how do you make a kick panels that not sealed?

Old 03-28-2008, 12:40 AM
oakleyg is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go with the second picture but aim the passenger side speakers more towards the driver and vice versa on the driver side, if you aim your tweeters properly instead of having them face straight into the center console you wont have to worry about having the soundstage too low.

Old 03-28-2008, 06:12 AM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

aiming your mid makes a huge difference and again, it completely depends on the speaker you are using to determine how to best aim them. Some speakers sound better off axis and some sound better on axis. Just try some temp setups and get to listening.

for open kicks I usually utilize the stock hole in the sheet metal behind the stock kick (if there is one). If there isnt I uslly design the kick so it is open on the top in the very back.

Quick Reply: Working on some door pods (first gen)