Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

1985 Toyota 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2019, 10:39 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough
Default 1985 Toyota 4runner

So, as many of you know, the Blazer has been sold, and it'll live out the rest of its days doing deer lease duty. Hopefully not too bad a retirement lol.

Finally found an 85 4runner semi close to me, and with the help of a couple buddies, made the 250 mile trip to San Antonio and picked it up this past Saturday. Been siting for two months, but fired right up with a jump start. The cold start injector needs some attention, so it has to crank for a sec before it starts, but it runs smooth once started.

$4k was exchanged, and I headed north, with my buddies behind me, incase parts fell off.

The 22re will never be accused of being a performance engine, but it ran 70-75mph the whole way back with zero issues. Just took a lil while to get up to speed.

It's got a 5 speed manual and a solid front axle, my two deal breaker criteria. And I got lucky, the seller had already ripped out the carpets, and sprayed down bed liner on all the floor boards.

Got some surface rust on hood and roof, but the body and frame are solid

Got the top off, had to jump the rear window motor to get the glass down. Have to troubleshoot that circuit eventually

Need to get the horn working, then it'll pass inspection with no problem (hopefully.) It's got a few oil leaks, and there's a slight coolant leak from the rear heater core I'll take care of first. Some of the wiring is kinda sketchy, but my buddy at Steffenson Fab Works® will eventually be commissioned to hook me up with a new fuse/relay panel and wiring.

Old 08-19-2019, 10:58 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Looking good and doesn't sound like a lot of issues. Gotta love that 80s aesthetic too. Amazing those go for over $3000 still.

Old 08-19-2019, 11:12 AM
BF Veteran

My buddy got super lucky, picked one up for $2k. The seller didn't know what he had. Was just an old Toyota to him.

The reason they hold such value, is it's probably one of the best platforms for offroading/rock crawling. So much potential

Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Nice!

I've always loved those things for the removable top. Owning one is on my bucket list

I miss my old Yota... I had a 91 regular cab short bed 4x4 that I sunk a LOT of money into...

Bore that 22re .030 over, put a mild cam in it, and open up the exhaust, she'll have MUCH more torque, I can confirm lol

She wasn't always a beauty queen. She would get down and dirty too

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 08-19-2019 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-19-2019, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Nice score. I've always wanted a toyota truck/SUV. Solid work, and they look descent lol

Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
BF Veteran

Blazin red, that's a nice truck! Why did you get rid of it?

DonL, thanks! Pick you one up! They're out there

Old 08-19-2019, 10:38 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

I'm old but I remember when all Toyota's and Subaru's were just a mini tin box around the size or smaller than a Chevy Luv and the little four Popper could be plucked out by hand no cherry picker needed ....

Old 08-19-2019, 11:30 PM
Hess13x is on a distinguished road

Nice find! Can't wait to see what you do to it!

Old 08-20-2019, 05:13 AM
BF Veteran

Hess, I've got cool plans for it, but first there's a lot of stock type stuff to clean up.

The highbeams weren't working right. Lows worked, and highs came on in "flash mode" but went dark when turned on. Took the switch apart, and found it was just some dirty contacts

Cleaned em up, and lights work fine!

Old 08-20-2019, 05:06 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Nice! Hopefully theres nothing too major needed. Itll be nice to hear success stories compared to blazers falling apart lol...

Quick Reply: 1985 Toyota 4runner