Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2000 ZR2 2wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2020, 04:37 PM
BF Veteran
DonL will become famous soon enough

2wd spindles have a part coming out for the different front rotors with bearings to sit on. Lots more work then what I would do, but doable...

drop it down and that would be a sweet street racer that would hug the pavement I think lol... I'm starting to like the idea of this build more and more... just a shame itll be the death of another zr2 lol... the stance of an LS would be skinnier then the zr2...

Old 08-04-2020, 05:50 PM
blazen_red_4x4 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by christine_208
Oh, I just thought of this. Running the front end with only the hubs with the CV axles deleted is bad.

I'm sure you already knew this but I thought it might be useful to others.

I was going to mention this too.

Easiest option is you can just rip your axle shafts apart and keep the out stub axle portion, insert it into the hub as it would normally be installed, and leave it in when the center nut torqued down. That'll save you're bearings from coming apart.

Old 08-09-2020, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member
Xracing1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
I was going to mention this too.

Easiest option is you can just rip your axle shafts apart and keep the out stub axle portion, insert it into the hub as it would normally be installed, and leave it in when the center nut torqued down. That'll save you're bearings from coming apart.
yep that’s my plan.

Old 08-09-2020, 07:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
2wd spindles have a part coming out for the different front rotors with bearings to sit on. Lots more work then what I would do, but doable...

drop it down and that would be a sweet street racer that would hug the pavement I think lol... I'm starting to like the idea of this build more and more... just a shame itll be the death of another zr2 lol... the stance of an LS would be skinnier then the zr2...
so I have a theory DonL can I use the 2wd drop spindles and hubs on my blazer? And does anyone make tubular a arm?

Last edited by Xracing1; 08-09-2020 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:31 PM
BF Veteran

They might work, might have to double check mounting location difference between the 2wd and 4x4.

For the tubular a arms, rough country does, but they have a different angle for a lift not drop.

Old 08-09-2020, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member

I have a question a Syclone and typhoon was 4wd or awd I guess how did the factory get them so low?

Old 08-10-2020, 03:24 AM
BF Veteran

Theres drop kits for the 4x4s... a lot of people have gone that route instead of jacking them up on here...

Old 09-05-2020, 04:19 PM
Beginning Member

Well gotten a little bit done. It’s been over a 100 here for weeks and as you can see I work outside. But I got the engine and trans pulled out and the front diff. Removed I did disassemble the CV axles and reinstall them in the hubs. I installed the new cam and matching valve springs and seals the headers came in so I think I’m ready to install the engine tho I might wait until I install the shift kit in the TH400 and stall them both and the same time. Not much to show yet but here’s a couple pics of the engine and my new race star wheels.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:58 PM
BF Veteran

Looking good... I like the rims... ehat with the tube on the water pump?

did you look into the spindles some more?

Old 09-05-2020, 08:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by DonL
Looking good... I like the rims... ehat with the tube on the water pump?

did you look into the spindles some more?
is a steam vent that is normally in the radiator.

Yes I think there going to work but I want to go to the pick a part and get a factory one and try before shelling out the money for drop spindles.

Quick Reply: 2000 ZR2 2wd conversion