Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Builds (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/)
-   -   2001 LS off road build (https://blazerforum.com/forum/builds-48/2001-ls-off-road-build-103646/)

Wastedwages01 07-17-2021 06:44 PM

2001 LS off road build

Hey guys I'm new here I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer it is my daily driver but I'm building it for off-road use also I already have a rough country two and a half inch width and was wondering if anybody had any ideas on doing the coil over conversion with this lift.

BritishColumbiafishing 07-19-2021 11:37 AM

Quilt over?? Coil over, not sure if it can he done, anyway I have a 4 door ls, not the best for off roading unless you change a few things, i needed to get a custome front shaft as the zr2 blazers have a longer one, the rough country shocks are garbage ×10, I have gone through 4 pairs in 3 years. As i am now changing to bilstine 1500 if i can find some that fit!, the steering box is (sloppy) i added a rough country steering stabilizer, the leaf springs are very long and can be worn down very easily if you load up. I'd recommend adding 2 more stacks. Also fitting 32inch tire you will definitely need ofset rims and to cut a bit of rear bumper.. do your fuel pump befor any of this stuff.

The truck is very capable off road if you know what to do

BritishColumbiafishing 07-19-2021 11:39 AM

If you dont do your driveshaft you can stretch it right out, and I damaged my tranfercase

christine_208 07-20-2021 06:26 PM

Some quick thoughts:
  • You might consider upgrading the rag-joint on the steering gear to a universal joint.
  • The steering stabilizer is a good idea too.
  • Something I did not think to do until recently was with a mild lift on mine is to install longer bump stops for the rear axle.
  • You might want to add a winch. My solution was to use a product from Australia called a Bush Winch. This will work for pulling backwards for forwards.
  • I added an OBD gauge reader so that I could monitor my transmission temperature. The brand I got was Ultragauge. This was mostly because I also use my Blazer for towing a boat. For the same reason I installed a larger all aluminum radiator.
  • If you don't already have them, get some skid-plates.
  • Do you have the G80 locking rear end? You will want that.
  • I have the parts but have not yet installed a 1-ton idler arm upgrade.

BritishColumbiafishing 07-22-2021 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 735465)
Some quick thoughts:
  • You might consider upgrading the rag-joint on the steering gear to a universal joint.
  • The steering stabilizer is a good idea too.
  • Something I did not think to do until recently was with a mild lift on mine is to install longer bump stops for the rear axle.
  • You might want to add a winch. My solution was to use a product from Australia called a Bush Winch. This will work for pulling backwards for forwards.
  • I added an OBD gauge reader so that I could monitor my transmission temperature. The brand I got was Ultragauge. This was mostly because I also use my Blazer for towing a boat. For the same reason I installed a larger all aluminum radiator.
  • If you don't already have them, get some skid-plates.
  • Do you have the G80 locking rear end? You will want that.
  • I have the parts but have not yet installed a 1-ton idler arm upgrade.

Temp gauge is a great idea for the trans. Mine was getting getting hot at one point ( story for another day)
I also added a trans cooler, double rad in the front 1 for engine 1 for the trans

1 ton idler arm send a part number over if it fits with no issues
what about pitman arm?

christine_208 07-23-2021 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by BritishColumbiafishing (Post 735506)
Temp gauge is a great idea for the trans. Mine was getting getting hot at one point ( story for another day)
I also added a trans cooler, double rad in the front 1 for engine 1 for the trans

1 ton idler arm send a part number over if it fits with no issues
what about pitman arm?

I basically lost my 3/4 clutch pack because I towed with my transmission in overdrive. D'Oh. I should have known better!

As for the 1-ton idler arm upgrade, the parts of off the shelf except for the brack I got from here: https://www.outfitterdesign.com/1-to...m-bracket.html I'm not a crazy off-roader but I like the idea of having peace of mind when it comes to my suspension! :)

BritishColumbiafishing 07-31-2021 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 735517)
I basically lost my 3/4 clutch pack because I towed with my transmission in overdrive. D'Oh. I should have known better!

As for the 1-ton idler arm upgrade, the parts of off the shelf except for the brack I got from here: https://www.outfitterdesign.com/1-to...m-bracket.html I'm not a crazy off-roader but I like the idea of having peace of mind when it comes to my suspension! :)

So my idler arm is toast again. Before I order this at my parts store , can you confirm it fits, because online it says does not fit 2002 blazer ls 4 door? Just double checking with you

christine_208 07-31-2021 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by BritishColumbiafishing (Post 735801)
So my idler arm is toast again. Before I order this at my parts store , can you confirm it fits, because online it says does not fit 2002 blazer ls 4 door? Just double checking with you

I have not installed the adapter bracket yet.

I plan to get under the truck for some preventative maintenance and check on my idler arm in the coming week. I can take a look at the fitment then if you can wait.

Where did you see that the bracket would not fit a 2002 LS 4dr? I didn't see that at the link at outfitterdesign.com.

BritishColumbiafishing 07-31-2021 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by christine_208 (Post 735805)
I have not installed the adapter bracket yet.

I plan to get under the truck for some preventative maintenance and check on my idler arm in the coming week. I can take a look at the fitment then if you can wait.

Where did you see that the bracket would not fit a 2002 LS 4dr? I didn't see that at the link at outfitterdesign.com.

When you search the part number

christine_208 07-31-2021 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by BritishColumbiafishing (Post 735807)
When you search the part number

Oh for the arm and pivot? Yes, they are for a 1-ton chevy truck and are being repurposed for a Blazer with the help of the bracket.