Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

2001 LS off road build

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2021, 06:44 PM
Wastedwages01 is on a distinguished road
Default 2001 LS off road build

Hey guys I'm new here I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer it is my daily driver but I'm building it for off-road use also I already have a rough country two and a half inch width and was wondering if anybody had any ideas on doing the coil over conversion with this lift.

Last edited by Wastedwages01; 09-04-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 11:37 AM
BritishColumbiafishing is on a distinguished road

Quilt over?? Coil over, not sure if it can he done, anyway I have a 4 door ls, not the best for off roading unless you change a few things, i needed to get a custome front shaft as the zr2 blazers have a longer one, the rough country shocks are garbage ×10, I have gone through 4 pairs in 3 years. As i am now changing to bilstine 1500 if i can find some that fit!, the steering box is (sloppy) i added a rough country steering stabilizer, the leaf springs are very long and can be worn down very easily if you load up. I'd recommend adding 2 more stacks. Also fitting 32inch tire you will definitely need ofset rims and to cut a bit of rear bumper.. do your fuel pump befor any of this stuff.

The truck is very capable off road if you know what to do

Old 07-19-2021, 11:39 AM

If you dont do your driveshaft you can stretch it right out, and I damaged my tranfercase

Old 07-20-2021, 06:26 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Some quick thoughts:
  • You might consider upgrading the rag-joint on the steering gear to a universal joint.
  • The steering stabilizer is a good idea too.
  • Something I did not think to do until recently was with a mild lift on mine is to install longer bump stops for the rear axle.
  • You might want to add a winch. My solution was to use a product from Australia called a Bush Winch. This will work for pulling backwards for forwards.
  • I added an OBD gauge reader so that I could monitor my transmission temperature. The brand I got was Ultragauge. This was mostly because I also use my Blazer for towing a boat. For the same reason I installed a larger all aluminum radiator.
  • If you don't already have them, get some skid-plates.
  • Do you have the G80 locking rear end? You will want that.
  • I have the parts but have not yet installed a 1-ton idler arm upgrade.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by christine_208
Some quick thoughts:
  • You might consider upgrading the rag-joint on the steering gear to a universal joint.
  • The steering stabilizer is a good idea too.
  • Something I did not think to do until recently was with a mild lift on mine is to install longer bump stops for the rear axle.
  • You might want to add a winch. My solution was to use a product from Australia called a Bush Winch. This will work for pulling backwards for forwards.
  • I added an OBD gauge reader so that I could monitor my transmission temperature. The brand I got was Ultragauge. This was mostly because I also use my Blazer for towing a boat. For the same reason I installed a larger all aluminum radiator.
  • If you don't already have them, get some skid-plates.
  • Do you have the G80 locking rear end? You will want that.
  • I have the parts but have not yet installed a 1-ton idler arm upgrade.
Temp gauge is a great idea for the trans. Mine was getting getting hot at one point ( story for another day)
I also added a trans cooler, double rad in the front 1 for engine 1 for the trans

1 ton idler arm send a part number over if it fits with no issues
what about pitman arm?

Old 07-23-2021, 12:30 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by BritishColumbiafishing
Temp gauge is a great idea for the trans. Mine was getting getting hot at one point ( story for another day)
I also added a trans cooler, double rad in the front 1 for engine 1 for the trans

1 ton idler arm send a part number over if it fits with no issues
what about pitman arm?
I basically lost my 3/4 clutch pack because I towed with my transmission in overdrive. D'Oh. I should have known better!

As for the 1-ton idler arm upgrade, the parts of off the shelf except for the brack I got from here: https://www.outfitterdesign.com/1-to...m-bracket.html I'm not a crazy off-roader but I like the idea of having peace of mind when it comes to my suspension!

Old 07-31-2021, 12:13 AM

I basically lost my 3/4 clutch pack because I towed with my transmission in overdrive. D'Oh. I should have known better!

As for the 1-ton idler arm upgrade, the parts of off the shelf except for the brack I got from here: https://www.outfitterdesign.com/1-to...m-bracket.html I'm not a crazy off-roader but I like the idea of having peace of mind when it comes to my suspension!
So my idler arm is toast again. Before I order this at my parts store , can you confirm it fits, because online it says does not fit 2002 blazer ls 4 door? Just double checking with you

Old 07-31-2021, 09:22 AM
BF Veteran

So my idler arm is toast again. Before I order this at my parts store , can you confirm it fits, because online it says does not fit 2002 blazer ls 4 door? Just double checking with you
I have not installed the adapter bracket yet.

I plan to get under the truck for some preventative maintenance and check on my idler arm in the coming week. I can take a look at the fitment then if you can wait.

Where did you see that the bracket would not fit a 2002 LS 4dr? I didn't see that at the link at outfitterdesign.com.

Last edited by christine_208; 07-31-2021 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:32 AM

I have not installed the adapter bracket yet.

I plan to get under the truck for some preventative maintenance and check on my idler arm in the coming week. I can take a look at the fitment then if you can wait.

Where did you see that the bracket would not fit a 2002 LS 4dr? I didn't see that at the link at outfitterdesign.com.
When you search the part number

Old 07-31-2021, 11:05 AM
BF Veteran

When you search the part number
Oh for the arm and pivot? Yes, they are for a 1-ton chevy truck and are being repurposed for a Blazer with the help of the bracket.

Quick Reply: 2001 LS off road build