Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

'82 k5 blazer

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:57 PM
Beginning Member
1982blazed is on a distinguished road
Default '82 k5 blazer

Hey. I just bought my k5 blazer in november of last year. so far i've loved it. The guy i bought it off of let it sit for a while before i bought it so i have since replaced the alternator, starter, and when the fan ripped through the hood, i had to replace the rad and water pump. The tires i replaced when i was pulling my buddys 2wd dodge out of a ditch with about 2- 2 1/2 feet of snow. They were weather cracked and ripped while spinning i suspect. I was pretty impressed with the performance of the 4x4. I put on 31x10.5 15r toyo open country A/T's. Anyways. The reason i posted this is that I bought a 6" rough country lift kit for it, and i was wondering if im going to have to buy a new driveshaft when i go to get it put on? And also, how funny does a blazer looks with a 6" lift on 31s ? haha. Thanks for the help

Old 04-20-2009, 09:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It will likely look pretty weird. As far as the driveshafts go, the kit should detail what needs to be done in this regard...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member

Alright cool. And also, The steering in the truck has been pretty sloppy lately. Sometimes (about once every 3 or 4 days) The steering gets kind of tight, and whines like its low on power steering but its not. Some times it will just randomly pull to one side. Could that be the power steering pump going? And should i get stabilizers to accomidate for the lift, or would it matter as im not going with bigger tires?

Old 04-20-2009, 09:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have 33's on my K5 and the steering is VERY light, but works quite well. If yours gets tight, it could be signs of a problem with the pump sucking air or internal problems in the steering box itself.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member

cool. thanks for the help man. If I get bigger tires eventually, What gearing would I need to put in the rear? And I was wondering if anyone has heard anything bad about the 6" rough country lift with rear blocks. Also, What are the disadvantages to rear blocks as opposed to springs?

Old 04-21-2009, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Lift blocks allow more axle wrap. I would stay with a spring lift if you can.

I have the stock 3.73 gears in my K5 (D44 front / 12-bolt rear) with my 33's and it moves along quite well. If I were to go to larger tires/lift, I would get 4.10's.

Old 05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
allen prater is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up its all good

im at 6 and its fin fin

Old 06-04-2009, 11:43 PM
lil_blazin is on a distinguished road

Well if youre blazer if anything like mine then you need to run true duals on youre blazer when you lift it or run it without a front driveshaft. This is because of where the Y-pipe on the exhuast is. It is like this on the newer blazers too my dad had to run his without his front driveshaft untill he got true dual exhuast. It was like this on my blazer as well that is why i bought dual exhuast before any other engine mod.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:29 PM
Beginning Member

Cool, well thanks for the advice!, but the truck has true duals already. I guess I am replacing the rear drive shaft and the lift should be in by monday!

Old 06-05-2009, 05:59 PM
lil_blazin is on a distinguished road

I dont know if youve already been told but many people have told me that swapping the 700r for a th350 once you got the bigger tires on is a good idea. I havent had any problems myself but my truck hasnt seen any real offroading. I also have to comment on the driveshaft dilemma, my dad runs a 6" on his blazer and he runs stock driveshafts mind you he hasnt took it offroad. My older bro has a 76 chevy stepside and he runs stock driveshafts with a 6" and hes only broke his driveshaft once and well i havent done anything to put any real stress on my driveshafts but im running stock ones for now.