Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

89 s10 blazer budget project

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 03:16 PM
Beginning Member
milehigh is on a distinguished road

Went and picked up my connecting rod bearings today. 50.00 for the set and although I could have gotten them cheaper online I was able to pick them up today so I will try to shuffle my schedule around to replace them today or tomorrow. The guy at the parts store even gave me the engine lube for free 10 oz tube.

Old 09-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Beginning Member

Went to the junkyard today and picked up the exhaust, fender flares, spare tire carrier, outer door weather seals, and replacement ashtray for my blazer. I am planning on installing the conrod bearings, exhaust and tire carrier this weekend. Kind of excited to have found the carrier as it has been a heck of a search to locate one. Got a few issues I need to work out though. the tailgate has a motor to release the glass lid and I know what switch it is but it does not release the glass and makes no noise so I need to troubleshoot the motor in the tailgate. I also want to look into replacing the seat belts but want to use the hardware and just replace the nylon material. Dont know if thats doable but looking into it tonight. also am going to prep and spray the exhaust black with some high temp spray paint. The exhaust I got had the cat converter cut off so the muffler is missing the connecting pipe from the cat converter to the muffler and need to look at oriellys or somewhere to build that connector.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 PM
Beginning Member

Today I replaced the serpentine belt and heater core. I can check two more things off this long list of stuff to do. I was looking at the exhaust today and realized that the one I got from the junkyard was cut off about five inches before the muffler and does not have the flanged connector to attach to the catalytic converter. I am not sure what to do about that yet but will figure out something. Does anyone know where may be a good place to look for that particular part. I went to oreillys today to see what they have but nothing stood out as a good solution.

Old 09-24-2012, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

I replaced the connecting rod bearings Saturday and it surprisingly well. The crank shaft had no damage to it but the number one con rod bearing was shot. I have to readjust the lifter bolts I tightened to get rid of a small tick that caused. My neighbor has a digital torque wrench I can borrow so I will get that done. The engine sounds great now other then this slight intermediate tick and real throaty without the muffler connected. I do want to get that muffler connected again though.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:29 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by milehigh
Today I replaced the serpentine belt and heater core. I can check two more things off this long list of stuff to do. I was looking at the exhaust today and realized that the one I got from the junkyard was cut off about five inches before the muffler and does not have the flanged connector to attach to the catalytic converter. I am not sure what to do about that yet but will figure out something. Does anyone know where may be a good place to look for that particular part. I went to oreillys today to see what they have but nothing stood out as a good solution.
are you just needing a hanger to help support the exhaust? most auto stores has a hanging flange for like 4 bucks.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:40 PM
John R Mcknight is on a distinguished road

I saw one of those flanged connectors at autozone I believe

Old 09-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Beginning Member

Chris015 - I need the intermediate pipe and the two bolt flange that bolts the cat and the intermediate pipe together.

John - I will go look at autozone tomorrow and see if they have one or can order the one I need. But I still need the intermediate pipe itself.

My truck sounds good now after I replaced the conrod bearings. I just need to attach the exhaust lol
Thanks for chiming in guys. All advice or concern is welcome.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Do you have a welder? if so id just weld the pipe together and be done with it. Welding is awesome!

Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 AM
Beginning Member

I thought about that but dont have access to a welder. The local muffler shop quoted 100 bucks to do the job for me. I am going to look into renting a welder for the job as well.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:25 AM
Beginning Member
Bluebeastblazer57 is on a distinguished road

go rust!!!!

Quick Reply: 89 s10 blazer budget project