Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

'96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 AM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default '96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On

I've bought my 1996 Blazer back in 1999. 5sp tranny, had 27k miles on it. I think I paid $17k total with extended warranty. Stock setup, had 235's. I replaced those a couple years later with the same size Pathfinders. In 2002 or 3, I added 30x9.5 BFG A/T's on black crawler rims; 15x8. After about 80K miles on those (around 2009)...I jumped up to 31x10.5's, and added a 2" body lift. I tweaked the t-bars, sawzall'd and sledged the trailing edge of the fenders back a bit. In 2010...I added a roof rack with spare.

Here's how she looked:

Texas snow storm...

This summer...a friend and I built a custom prerunner bumper...

Then I built a 3-pc adjustable light bar and added some lamps for some daylight...

And for the latest...I have worked out a deal with a guy a few states away to grab a 5" Trailmaster lift (minus UCA's and rear flip), a full front end, plus a front diff with 4.10's in it...for $400. I will order the Rough Country 2.5 kit for the UCA's, keys, and shackles.

I'll be seaching for a D44 rear with 4.10's since my rear axle is leaking like hell.

To boot...I'm picking up my rockstarkrew.com fiberglass fenders tomorrow...3" rise, 3" flare.

I will detail the install and fit of these fenders here. i will also keep the thread updated as I grab parts for the rear, and the lift, up to, and including to installation.

Stay Tuned...

Old 08-31-2012, 07:52 PM
Starting Member
Default Look What Arrived...

My fenders got here. They look good. There are a couple of cracks from shipping, but they are superficial. I'll fill them, after I install. I'm not going to get a long stretch to work on them...so I'll have to "chunk" out blocks of time over this 3-day weekend.

It may also be important to note that I am NOT a mechanic, nor am I a paint andbody guy. I am mechanically inclined, I can google, and I can read.

Attached Thumbnails '96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On-rsk-fenders.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

should be sweet.
i like the bumper by the way. if you dont mind what did you use and cost?
i always liked the prerunner look.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Carrico4 is on a distinguished road

oh yes sub'd!!

Old 09-01-2012, 12:29 AM
Starting Member

The bumper was about $20, and took a few weeks of working on it off and on. I used 2 3/8" drill stem left over from some fencing here at the farm. The push bar is...1.5", if I remember right, and it was a scrap piece about 10' long. We had a muffler shop do the bends...for a few bucks. We actually welded it directly to the steel spacer blocks (to relocate the bumper) that came with the body lift. I spent the better part of a day trying to fab mounts for the turn signals. I finally solved that problem in under 5 minutes with black zip-ties. I sanded and primed it with a spray can...then put 3 coats (over the course of a day) of rustoleum industrial gloss black. The next day, I put a couple coats of wax on it. If it does start to really chip up and look bad, I'll unbolt it, and have it powder coated.

Ya'll will discover through this process...I am cheap. Not cutting corners cheap...but patient enough to find a good deal where I can...reuse what I can...and search for methods and solutions that are as inexpensive as possible, without sacrificing quality.

This should be fun!

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Starting Member
Default Fiberglass Fenders

I got my new prerunner fenders installed. I will post a detailed description, with pics, on what it took to make it happen.

But for now...here's the results:

Attached Thumbnails '96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On-rsk-fenders-rear.jpg   '96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On-rsk-fenders.jpg  
Old 09-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

They look way better than what I was expecting!! Nice job and very unique I like it.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
Starting Member

Thanks...to be fair...and I hate to say this...I'd give the company a "D" for fit, and an A- for finish. That gap should not be there...and they still aren't lined up perfectly. The finish quality is about as good as you could expect...only a few very minor wavy spots in the texture.

Overall...I'm happy with them over my stock, beat and sawed fenders.

Old 09-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Starting Member

Oh yeah...and an early congrats on ROTM!

Old 09-06-2012, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

Thanks man!!

Quick Reply: '96 4x4 Prerunner - It's On