Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

98 build

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 11:35 PM
Starting Member
jaked up is on a distinguished road
Default 98 build

i have a 98 blazer ls 4 door. i have done some mods to it and am looking for more ideas any help or ideas would be great

Old 08-08-2011, 11:48 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Well it really depends on what you want to do with it. If you like off-roading then you can lift it with bigger tires and off-road lights.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:03 PM
Starting Member

im an off roader but not a hard core one. I have extra lights on my blazer and am already lifting it. but i am open to other ideas as well

Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

use caution when lifting your rig. safest way to lift it without messing with suspension parts is a body lift (performance accessories) or the 5" or 6" full drop lifts (BDS, superlift). Torsion bar cranking will cut the life of front end parts drastically. If doing any kind of off roading you want to make sure all of your suspension parts are in working order. A great aftermarket company for suspension parts is MOOG, they have lifetime warranties and you can grease them up as needed.

The other unfortunate part of owning a blazer is the lack of aftermarket accessories make specifically for blazers. Some things to consider with off roading is a limited slip differential if you're lucky your blazer may have one also known as a g80, you will know if your blazer has one by looking in your glove box at the rpo codes it will list g80 as an option. Also with bigger tires it is recommended to get your speedometer re-calibrated, and proper gearing for what tire size you go with, normally blazers either have 3.42 gears or 3.73 you can check this also in your rpo codes gu6 is the 3.42 gears and gt4 is 3.73.

CB radios are also useful on the trails makes it easy to contact people you are wheeling with and cb whips look pretty cool.

check my build thread for other ideas

Old 08-10-2011, 12:48 AM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

Just to list some ideas to help you out:

-Spare tire rack mod
-Cold air intake or short ram intake or a snorkel
-Flowmaster muffler or custom exhaust
-Roof basket
-Headers
-Brush guard
-Bull bar
-Supercharger
-V8 Swap
-HID's
-Winch
-I guess that's it for now. I'm forgetting stuff but there are a few ideas lol.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:59 PM
Starting Member

i have plans on making a custom roof rack. i have a light bar and bull bar kinda thing which are also custom all of which i built. i have 9 forward facing lights all 55 watts and i am getting a high out put alternator out of a full size pickup ( they bolt right in just need a longer belt) i would do a custom exhaust but i cant bc of new laws (dam you mass) i was wonder benedict how you put your back up lights under your bumper. I was wondering also if anyone new if the with on the a-arms where they bolt onto the frame in a zr2 are the same with as a blazer without the zr2 package. the zr2 a-arms are longer and would fix the extreme angle of the cvs and the ball joints so they dont wear out as fast. i have put my cb radio under the arm rest bc i have a 98 and the center consloe is different than the ones in 2000 i would like another place to put it

Old 08-11-2011, 05:23 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

zr2 suspension parts won't bolt onto a non zr2 blazer, zr2's frame structure is different than a non zr2's.

I put my lights on the two chain hooks on each side of my receiver, I broke those within a few weeks from wheeling. this is where I have my reverse lights mounted now.