Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

ar-15 build (kinda)

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 10:39 AM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road
Default ar-15 build (kinda)

So I've been interested in my own ar since my dad got his, so I started researching buying vs building and did a little looking around. I wanted one that could be used for some distance shooting, nothing crazy, just around 250-300 yards. I ended up finding this at Cabela's and only paid $800 for it. It's .223/5.56 with a match grade barrel which helps a lot with accuracy. I don't care for the fixed stock for it so I went ahead and ordered a Magpul MOE SL stock for it and all the hard wear. I also picked up a short throw ambi safety selector since I'm left handed. All in all I'm right at $1000 and I know I could've spent less if I'd build it myself but I wasn't super confident in building one just yet so I'm going to see how swapping out some parts goes and decide if I want to build my next one. I'll update this some more when my parts come in and I can replace the stock and safety on it. I'll try and make some detailed instructions in case anyone is interested in building their own. And finally, a picture of it.

Attached Thumbnails ar-15 build (kinda)-1017e58d-c565-476e-99e6-716e4bf10c13_zpsz4rfibo2.jpg  
Old 02-09-2016, 03:55 PM
jackm is on a distinguished road

If you can work on a truck you can put an AR15 together there are a few special tools but not many and it's a lot of fun! Nice rifle!

Old 02-16-2016, 02:00 PM
lazyboyjake is on a distinguished road

Well I worked on the AR Sunday and not everything went as planned. I accidentally shot a spring across the room and wasn't able to find it so I've got that order placed along with a new buffer and spring since I was dumb and didn't realize the fixed stocks use a longer buffer and spring. I ordered a Spike's Tactical ST-T2 buffer which is what 99% of the time is being suggested. It's also the buffer in my dad's AR so I know it's not going to be something I'll regret buying. Hopefully I can get home in the next week or so and get it all put back together and firing. On a good note I did take it outside last week before I had done any modification so it and put about 15 rounds through it so I can say I've shot it and I'm happy with how it shoots! I also swapped the safety to an ambidextrous short throw safety that I'm really enjoying. It even got my dad interested in getting a short throw safety. I was a little frustrated by the time we were done with it so I don't have any pictures but I will take some when the new parts come in and I have time to work on it.