Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Blazer 1994 4x4 - Oil hoses to and from cooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 05:58 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road
Default Blazer 1994 4x4 - Oil hoses to and from cooler

It's already one year now that I run with this small build installed and so far no more oil leaking from the original hoses (btw. "Made in Mexico").

After 2 replacements with original parts which leaked again just once the warranty was expired I decided to take another path as remedy.

My friendly hydraulic hose shop around the corner was very helpful in finding the right material, hoses, connectors etc. to build a nice remedy.

COST:
As it is Switzerland we are talking the prices can not possibly be compared to those in the U.S. The OEM hose assy here sells at 450 CHF roughly 420 $ today.
I came up with the same cost for the hydraulic hoses plus my own labour to be added. This the reason for taking the hassle.

LABOUR:
It took me about 3 - 4 hours to figure out the material with my store and to look into the problem for a solution.

2 hours to get myself an assy for the aluminium parts which connect to engine and filter support to work with from a scrap yard for 15 $.

2 hours to disassemble, take rubber hoses off, and grind down outer diameter of aluminium tubes to specifications for hydraulic fittings.

1 hour to take the material to the shop and get it back 2 days later.

2 hours to fit the completed outfit back to the car. (Installing to the engine next to the front drive shaft is the nightmare part. Afterwards because it now consists of several parts the rest was fitted in less than 20 Minutes.)

(4 hours additional work on the oil filter support, ground all edges and brows off, cleaning, painting in dark grey, "Caution hot" in red and fitting it back - this is cosmetics only and was for my own pleasure and enjoyment)

And now with the pictures of the completed assy.

Attached Thumbnails Blazer 1994 4x4 - Oil hoses to and from cooler-blaz_oil_01.jpg   Blazer 1994 4x4 - Oil hoses to and from cooler-blaz_oil_02.jpg  

Last edited by error_401; 05-03-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Pictures added, minor editing
Old 04-25-2009, 01:03 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it repaired. That's the way to think on your feet.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is definitely the best way to fix this issue. We did this 10+ years ago on my grandfather's old S10 pickup. We brazed fittings onto the ends of the aluminum lines and just used swivel fittings on the hoses.