Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Bone Stock ‘96 Blazer Build, “The BangaRang”

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2022, 10:54 AM
1DimentedBlazer is on a distinguished road
Default Bone Stock ‘96 Blazer Build, “The BangaRang”

So, new guy to the threads. We’ll, more like a creeper I guess. Had this blazer for a few months now and got her on the road, daily driver status. But here’s my shot in the dark.
Im a Ford guy, bleed Ford blue.. But.. This truck was a gift, and I want to do it right. Idk much about them, and I’m looking for any and everything I can do, without taking it down and out to do it. I want to lift, but not sure the best route with these as I’ve heard mixed opinion.
Thinking of going pre-runner type setup with not a lot of height, but would clear a curb without so much as a bump. Lol. I’m exaggerating, but that’s what I’m looking towards as far as suspension. I’d like to offset, have a extra 3-6”, and get a bit more bite outta the throttle. She’s currently bone stock, except for the audio I threw in on short notice with what I had… Currently rebuilding everything from the ground up as lost all when wife of 10yrs figured she wanted more than just me, so I had to dip from small town. O where to big east coast city, and now looking for the best ideas and such to build this blazer, and build it right… Would love to become a staple in this community, and I appreciate anyone and everyone’s time.. And patience.. lol.. Soon as I figure how to up load the pics, I’ll post a bunch of what I’m working with.. Thanks Again..!!

There she blows in all her bone stock glory. Lol. Time all is said and done, I want her to be level with the expy sitting beside it. HELP!! 🤣 Idk why wouldn’t let me categorize make and model.

I want it to be level with this beast that she’s settin beside.. Ahhh, one day.. One day…

That *** ain’t bad.. lol

Yes, I’m fully aware it looks like trash. But having to start over from ground up, I’m broke right now and had to use what I had on hand. As previously mentioned. Help! Hahaha

Punch 150 running subs. She’s a little dirty, lol.

The 12’s. Nothing major. Yet. My goal is earthquakes or sundown 15’s. I know that’s extreme, but I want 15’s.. and WAAAYY more power. At least 1500W.

Should I replace the studs and use these even though she’s stock.? Lol

Old 02-08-2022, 11:22 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum!

I've come to think that our Blazers fill a unique niche in the 4x4 world. They are relatively small and nimble but not miniscule and spartan like the really small ones. I once found myself on the wrong side of a locked logging road gate and was able to get around it when a full-sized truck or SUV would have not.

As for lifts, there are about three levels
  1. Adjust the front torsion bars to raise the front end and install longer rear shackles.
    1. This will allow the installation of larger tires 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 (but with some slight fender trimming).
    2. Optionally install longer shocks.
    3. Max lift: ~2"
  2. Adjust front suspension torsion bars to raise front end, install longer rear shackles, and replace front upper control arms (see Rough Country 2.5" lift) and ball joints to eliminate excessive wear on upper ball joints.
    1. Definitely add longer shocks that are also designed for more extreme use.
    2. Replace the outer front axle CV joint boots with neoprene ones that are more flexible to reduce them becoming loose and allowing dirt to destroy the joint.
    3. Install 30x9.5 or 31x10.5 tires.
    4. Max lift: ~2"
  3. Install the Rough Country 2.5" lift. Full kit will have new upper control arms, rear shackles, new shocks, brackets for lowering mounting point for front axle.
    1. Easily can install 31.5x10.5 tires.
    2. Requires permanently modifying front axle attachment tangs.
    3. Max lift: 2.5"
  4. Swap out front IFS with a solid axle and go for about a 6" total suspension lift.
    1. Most extreme of the lifts but what you do if you are really serious and want to do rock crawling.
My lift was #2. You can check it out in my build thread.

As for things to address first before any lift, these are issues that should be addressed or considered with Blazers.
  • Consider replacing the lower intake manifold (LIM) gaskets. These can deteriorate and cause a leak of coolant into the lifter valley causing almost instantaneous catastrophic damage to the engine internals. Do a search for the years for which this was a problem.
  • Replace the remote oil cooler lines. These are notorious for leaking once our trucks get to the 15 y.o. mark. Consider replacing the gaskets between the oil lines to engine block adapter and the engine block while you are at it.
  • The idler arms tend to wear out quickly in these trucks. Proforged (and perhaps Moog) are the only brands people have much confidence in with regard to any sort of longevity of these over the OEM design. If you are serious about off-roading, there is a 1-ton idler arm upgrade you can do.
  • The under-hood vacuum lines tend to rot out after out trucks get to about 10 to 15 y.o. These supply vacuum to the HVAC actuators and to some of the 4wd components. There are vacuum lines that go to the transfer case and to the front axle. If the one to the front axle engagement actuator goes bad or if you have no vacuum at all, you will not be able to engage the front axle when you need it.
OK, that is the stuff that pops up first in my head.

And regarding being a Ford guy, I'm a Ford girl in my own way with my 68 Mustang, one-family car.

Old 02-08-2022, 07:11 PM
Default Hats off to you, *Tips hat. Lol

I have got to say, as far as welcomes go..? That’s gotta be bout the best one Ive come across, I really appreciate this info too as I’m going to be looking in on it like it’s the proverbial bible, if you will… lol..
I say ford guy, cause all I’ve ever owned, worked on, had major interest in modding really have been, naturally, what I was raised on… As for lifts, I believe I’ll most likely go the #2 route as well, cause as far as off roading I plan to do a little, but nothin extreme and most likely 90% sand/beach…
also, thank you for the advice on the things to check on/replace, as for the LIM, I have coolant disappearing on me, and on first start up/cold start, she’s got steam from tail pipe… Nothing in oil, no pressure on radiator or anything like that, and still runs like a top, *Knocks on wood*, but yeah there’s that… lol
Another thing, how about the throttle body mod or cable mod I’ve heard tell about here and there..? Worth doing, or waste of time..? I’d like to get a bit better response out of her, and intend on doing some minor upgrades in the way of bolt on type stuff in the beginning, getting more in depth as time goes by…
Hey, thanks again, and I really do appreciate it..!!
~Scott
P.S.
How do you, anyone else, feel about spacers..? I know the ones I’ve got look a little rough, but nothing a good ‘ole wire wheel can fix.. haha.
let me know..!

Old 02-09-2022, 02:21 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 1DimentedBlazer
I have got to say, as far as welcomes go..? That’s gotta be bout the best one Ive come across, I really appreciate this info too as I’m going to be looking in on it like it’s the proverbial bible, if you will… lol..
I say ford guy, cause all I’ve ever owned, worked on, had major interest in modding really have been, naturally, what I was raised on… As for lifts, I believe I’ll most likely go the #2 route as well, cause as far as off roading I plan to do a little, but nothin extreme and most likely 90% sand/beach…
also, thank you for the advice on the things to check on/replace, as for the LIM, I have coolant disappearing on me, and on first start up/cold start, she’s got steam from tail pipe… Nothing in oil, no pressure on radiator or anything like that, and still runs like a top, *Knocks on wood*, but yeah there’s that… lol
Another thing, how about the throttle body mod or cable mod I’ve heard tell about here and there..? Worth doing, or waste of time..? I’d like to get a bit better response out of her, and intend on doing some minor upgrades in the way of bolt on type stuff in the beginning, getting more in depth as time goes by…
Hey, thanks again, and I really do appreciate it..!!
~Scott
P.S.
How do you, anyone else, feel about spacers..? I know the ones I’ve got look a little rough, but nothing a good ‘ole wire wheel can fix.. haha.
let me know..!
You are very welcome! I figure helping out the newbies is my way of paying it forward for the help I've gotten in the past.

Regarding the throttle body mods, I've never heard of any mods that really help. There are experts on the 4.3L that can better answer that question for you. About the only related mod that might give better performance is to do a full intake replacement using a marine intake and fuel injection system.

I have mixed feelings about spacers. I added them to my rear axle for a more square stance when in the woods but then I took them off to see if I could notice a difference. I'm not all that sure about them. The downside is that they can put extra torque about an axis perpendicular to the axle. (i.e., the wheel twists such the bottom goes out and the top in). However when going slow over rough roads, even a couple more inches of width I guess it might help.

For comparison, look for the specs for the ZR2 version of the Blazer. These had a raised and widened suspension.

Old 02-09-2022, 01:40 PM

Awesome, and will do.. Also, I’ll be posting updates as I do them.. And the mod I was referring to, is there is a lip on the butterfly within the throttle body itself, and there are some who swear if removed, gives the 4.3 better response, a little extra air, and so on and so forth… Far as all that goes, I was thinking on replacing the setup with one from a 350, if it would fit and flashing the pc if need be, would give her a little more “umph” if you will..
Also, do you know of any actual prerunner suspension kits that might be available for these blazers, or would it be something I’d have to piece together to get the desired result.. Not really wanting major height, but I’m a tall guy and I don’t care for sittin, DOWN, to get in an SUV… lol… Just my thoughts on the matter, haha..
And, my driver/passenger seats do not work.. The adjustments on them, fwd back, the lumbar and such… I can’t seem to figure exactly why, all fuses are good, no wire shorts or anything unplugged or the like, but… Yeah, tired of eating steering wheel just to run to the store or work… 😂
Hey, thanks again… And I might toss those spacers on there, just to see what she looks like with them.. I like a wider stance, and till I can get a set of some either offsets or wider wheel, figure spacers on those factories, wouldn’t look to bad… 🤷🏻‍♂️