Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Bowtie removal and replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 12:58 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Bowtie removal and replacement

Dumb ? I know... I want to black out my bowtie, easy enough, but what do I need to use to re-stick it on so it comes off easy again. (just in case)

Old 06-27-2009, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

two sided tape is what they're stuck on with. If you find my thread about de-badging someone mentioned a 3M two sided tape that they recommended.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:15 PM
RCars2 is an unknown quantity at this point

The front bowtie on the grille is actually bolted on. If you pull the grille off (grab firmly under the center bar and pull towards you) you will see two plastic studs with nuts on them securing the bowtie to the back of the center bar. Use a socket wrench to remove the nuts and the bowtie should come right out.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:20 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Why not just tape off the front end and paint it wihle it's on the truck like I did? See my "updates" album for pics. Looks good and its fast and easy.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:09 PM
Blazer20 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by RCars2
The front bowtie on the grille is actually bolted on. If you pull the grille off (grab firmly under the center bar and pull towards you) you will see two plastic studs with nuts on them securing the bowtie to the back of the center bar. Use a socket wrench to remove the nuts and the bowtie should come right out.
Yeah those plastic studs can also break when you attempt to remove the emblem, happened to me when I went to replace my emblem. So be careful when removing the badge...

Old 06-28-2009, 12:57 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by RCars2
haha oops, my bad. I'm used to all badges being stuck on with two sided tape. I thought someone said they removed theirs and it was tape. My bad, sorry for the wrong info. .
I like the idea of just taping it off and painting it when its on the truck, seems a lot easier.

Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

What I did was a little more time consuming, I pulled the bowtie off, peeled the gold plastic off of the plastic insert (which has the two studs that bolt the bowtie on) and painted the insert black, then I just put the insert on. I stripped and re-painted the inside of the gold platic silver and have it ready to stick back on if I ever decide to put the front-end of my truck back to stock.

Took be about an hour to strip the paint off the gold plastic with a rag and laquer thinner.

Old 07-01-2009, 11:24 PM
blazerguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point

my badge on the front WAS secured with botls and then of course i removed it to paint the grille and the bowtie seperatly and of course the bastards broke so mine is now stuck on with BLACK3M double sided moulding tape seems to be holding up well so far

Old 07-08-2009, 03:04 PM
amazinnblazin is an unknown quantity at this point

If they break that easy should I just break it and tape it back on?

Old 07-08-2009, 03:28 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't break anything on purpose. Like I've said, just tape it off and paint it.. way easier.

Quick Reply: Bowtie removal and replacement