Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

The chronicle of james - entirety

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
dougg01 is on a distinguished road
Default The chronicle of james - entirety

The build of our 2000 Jimmy that replaced the totalled '99 Blazer that wasn't to be.....

Cheap replacement having issues transformed into daily driver and moderate trail ride.

To start with....

2000 Jimmy 4dr 4wd. I haven't decoded the options. SLE, Cloth, CD, PW, PL, pwr driver's seat, tilt, cruise....has Carbon-fiber transfer case and gas tank skid plates, aluminum front diff skid plate, 4-leaf rear springs.....many issues.

It was in an accident in its previous life. Front and drivers-side. Airbags didn't pop. all new front sheet metal, but they didn't paint jambs, etc. alignment is whacked. Driver's door is not aligned. Hinge pins are good so I need to 2x4 lever it... Some speakers blown, some stuff missing here and there, needs tuneup and at least a pass-side CV shaft. ABS light is on after they replaced the passenger-front hub, but didn't replace the sensor (duh). It was riding on Kumho 235/70-15s. Exhaust rattled. Cat was replaced with a straight-pipe. I could go on....and on.... Still a solid truck for the money.

now....on to the build.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:07 PM
Starting Member

Sorry for lack of progress pics.....

So this is a short list of the current fix, replace, and upgrade list:

dynomax cat-back
K&N drop-in w/ airbox 'opened up'.
Accel super coil
new vacuum hoses under hood
new upper and lower fan shroud
new cooler to filter oil hoses
1.5" (actual lift) rear shackles
new rear shocks
new ES swaybar bushings f/r
new CV shafts
new upper/lower ball-joints
new tie-rod grease cups
1.5" (or so ) T-bar crank (I call it an upgrade)
Firestone Destination AT 31x10.50-15s
handful of lightbulbs, screws, nuts & bolts
re-aligned headlights and front bumper
have 4 new speakers (one has been replaced)

A work photo....

Post shackle install -

Now to some post-lift pics....

Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM
Starting Member

I have new pics.....but I haven't uploaded them yet... I will.

I'll find the post I made here showing it next to a ZR2.

Have trimmed some of the rear, lower front wheel well. The body kit stuff makes it tight.

CURRENT ISSUES LEFT to work on.....
pass-side front axle tube appears to be leaking a good bit. Seal looked good when I did the CV shafts, but I guess it wasn't.
ABS wire tab was trimmed for wheel clearance, but it still hits at extreme suspension movement...
Swap Lock-right from my old S-10 in to the Jimmy (before hitting trails)
finish replacing speakers
new thermostat (going in today)
change spark plugs
tweak driver's door alignment
finish aligning body panels
fabricate tow points front and rear before hitting trails
hatch release on the cargo door doesn't work. the switch inside does...
start doing some exterior touch ups to make it more presentable (lowest priority)
add some rear wheel spacers when time and $$$$ allow

I plan to take it off road as soon as we get a couple more things done.

Still pondering the 2" body lift for the summer to give more clearance. We might consider different wheels after that. Maybe not.

We plan to chekc out 491 up near Crittenden, KY, Daniel Boone forest (still looking for trail info), Red River Gorge (still looking for rules and trail entrance info), and Black Mountain (only class 3 and easier routes).

For now I wheel the front yard. I'll get pics today..... the tractor is close by should it get stuck.... We almost have an offroad park in front of the house....

Old 04-13-2010, 12:32 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

Drivers side headlight is installed wrong.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:38 PM
BF Veteran
MTopper will become famous soon enough

Nice looking truck so far. And of course Dave points something little like that out

Old 04-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Starting Member

Next to a ZR2 at work.....

T&C.....my truck does not phear curbs, potholes, etc because it doesn't sport bah-bling wheels. These stockers won't bend like tin foil when facing a speed bump.

The LF headlight is now aligned right. I had to remove the front bumper and get it correctly aligned to set it down properly. The hood is now way off as the folks who did it before just kept aligning things around stuff that wasn't aligned. I haven't got the headlights adjusted right yet. They didn't replace the header when they fixed the rest and it is tweaked some. Both headlight jiggle and the battery tray isn't aligned correctly. I'm still bend stuff and re-aligning things to get it right. It really has come a LONG way.

People who shouldn't touch a tool worked on it before. 'nuff said.

I want to find a bit of mud, but we can't buy a rain drop lately......

Old 04-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

The ZR2's headlights are installed incorrectly as well. Tell that owner to remove his/her grille so he can install the headlights correctly into the tabs on the rad support.

Oh yea, the truck looks good. Good luck with fixing everything. Looks like a good project.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:46 PM
Starting Member

Thanks....

if you note in the last two photos my headlights are fixed. They are loose because the header is tweaked and I need to bend things around so the tabs fit a bit more snug. People forget about the tabs all the time.

Previously I couldn't get it in the tabs on the d-side because the bumper was incorrectly aligned. you can easily tell from the earlier photos that side is high.

I like it.....it's a decent project. Wish some one would just drop off a complete ZR2 diff at the house so I could plan for real horsepower later. 2WD drag machine one day.....4wd trail truck the next.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:14 PM
Beginning Member
tmurph01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Looks good! Identical to my 2001 Jimmy as far as I can tell. Check out my build thread to get some ideas and share info. I just installed a safari bar, but after seeing your pics, my next mod will deffinately be my suspension lift!

Keep us updated!

Old 04-13-2010, 02:49 PM
Starting Member
sifd4x4 is on a distinguished road

looks like its coming along pretty good. And for some reason I liked the way those wheels looked better when the center caps/cover was off the front ones.

Quick Reply: The chronicle of james - entirety