Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 09:48 AM
Beginning Member
joethejman4us is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics

Recently did a conversion on my daughters 2001 Blazer. Thought I'd post some pics and info for anyone else planning on doing this.
Bought the kit from GM Direct site. Took around 5 business days to get to me. Part #12568332. Used the old bracket and the seals were in great shape so I reused. Had to reposition the the tubes on new spider according to the GM sheet as shown in the picture.
Here's some pics (taken with my phone):

Worked wonders as far as throttle response and idle. I went ahead and cleaned the MAF sensor with some MAF cleaner and Qtip while I was at it. Not sure which one fixed it but got rid of the P0300 code.

Attached Thumbnails CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics-before.jpg   CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics-new-mfi-spider.jpg   CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics-after-front.jpg   CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics-after-side.jpg  

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-01-2009 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Fixed image links
Old 05-31-2009, 10:50 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Enlighten me, what did this do for you? Benefits? Cost?

Old 05-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

Had recently just dropped the re-manufactured engine in (4.3L). It kept throwing up a random misfire code as well as being kinda sluggish on take off. I checked pressure with a fuel guage and the pressure was low and when you turned off the key it dropped to zero almost immediately. Dropped the tank and threw a new gas gauge assembly in it (Gas gauge didn't work so needed to be replaced anyway. I also put in a new distributor, plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. Still got 0300 code. I figured pressure valve was bad on the old spider but after reading all the problems with the pre-2003 csfi from GM site and forums figured I'd spend the extra 100 bucks and replace it( pressure valve is 56 bucks alone).
Anyway, I bought the MFI spider assembly off GM Direct for $151.00 plus shipping(charged me 38 bucks). Checked fuel pressure and is were it should be.
Was a big noticeable difference. It starts easier, is a lot quicker on take off, and best of all no misfire code after a week of driving (YEAAAA!). Seems to be a little better on the gas mileage department as well (averaging around 24 highway, 16-19 city).

Old 05-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Beginning Member
liftmys10 is an unknown quantity at this point

How do you liek it? does it get better mpg?

Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for posting.

I shudder whenever I see pictures like this though... Please take the extra time to disconnect the fuel lines at the back of the engine. Bending them up like that is a sure way to have to fight to get them back into the injector body and risk damaging the lines and/or o-rings.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Beginning Member

I disconnected the lines from were it bolts to the intake as well as were it hooks to the transmission. Didn't have to bend em at all. Went back in like cake (used a little oil on the lines before sliding them in).

Last edited by joethejman4us; 06-01-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Ok. Glad you cleared that up. Most people just bend the heck out of them with only removing the bolt at the intake.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
pmurph is an unknown quantity at this point

That's a great idea. My spider is bad too, but this seems a little more solid than just replacing the CSFI one. Would anyone say that it's more or less reliable than CSFI?

Old 06-01-2009, 01:22 PM
Administrator

The biggest downfall of the SCFI spider is the problematic poppet nozzles. If cleaned regularly, they will not be a problem, but...

Old 06-01-2009, 01:28 PM
pmurph is an unknown quantity at this point

New design 96-up SFI injectors!

In case anyone is having problems with 96-up fuel injectors and thinking about replacing them, GM has just released (1/30/03) a new injector design that can be retrofitted to all 96-up 4.3 V6 and 5.0/5.7 V8s. The new design is more like a conventional MFI injector, but must be replaced as a set.
The original injectors have the electrical solenoid part of the injector housed near the top of the intake manifold and a tube that feeds the fuel to a poppet nozzle located in the intake tract.
The new design has the electrical solenoid located where the poppet nozzles would normally be, eliminating the need for poppet nozzles and reducing the chance of sticking/clogged nozzles.
Right now since GM is going to be footing the bill for vehicles that are still under warranty the price is very low.

Part #12568332 V6 MFI injector assembly (includes 6 injectors)
#88894355 V6 bracket
#17113215 V6 seal kit

Parts can be bought at any GM dealer.

If anyone is interested in buying the required parts, the dealer I work at does internet sales. E-mail Chris_McCabe2000@yahoo.com tell him you are from S-seriesforum.com
Internet prices from Banks Chevrolet as of 2/13/03
12568332---->$161.33
88894355---->$10.13
17113215---->$15.70

Please check with Chris for shipping charges.
Found that here http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f11/ha...jectors-46356/

Little bit more explination. Since I have to replace my spider anyway, I think I'm going this route. This eliminates the poppets, which, as someone just mentioned, are the worst part.

Quick Reply: CSFI to MFI Conversion Pics