Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

Greek's Daily Driver Build (K.I.S.S)

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 05:41 AM
Beginning Member
GreekPower is on a distinguished road
Default Greek's Daily Driver Build (K.I.S.S)

Keeping this simple stupid, will be the theme of this build. I got my 96 blazer for basically free, while it has some quirks about it I will be fixing it to have a nice decent daily driver while I'm doing a engine swap in both of my other cars.

Just to start off I only have one pic currently of the blazer

From here it looks decent but I will list all that is currently wrong and will be getting fixed, as I find more wrong with it I will update and progress along with little changes along the way.

1996 Chevy Blazer Build (Problems)
1. A/C issue (7/6/10) likes to randomly switch from defrost to face setting while giving it gas (seems its a vacuum leak so I've read) I have come to find out its on the firewall somewhere connected to the intake manifold since the intake manifold gaskets were changed its had this issue.

2. Windshield has a HUGE crack in it (7/6/10)

3. Man interior lights are burned out from climate control to all over(7/6/10)

4. Headlights are DIM!(7/6/10) I drive with highbeams now and I can't see for ****. I need a HID retrofit or something (TIPS! PLEASE!)

5. Interior is FILTHY and SMELLS! (7/6/10) No lie the P.O washed it religiously but NEVER in 132k miles EVER cleaned the interior... you can only imagine how bad it is for now... pics will be up

6. Frame rails and bumper ties are rusted and need touched up to look "fresh" again (7/6/10)

7. Driver door is not lined up..no clue why and don't really know how to fix it (7/6/10)

7a. Because of the driver door closing it knocks the mirror position down, so this is a part 2 of a fix.

*NEW*
8. Gas tank/line leak ( 7/18/2010) filled it up for the first time and now gas is leaking out steadily around the B pillar I suspect a gas tank

Budget for fixing and modding is under 500 dollars. I've done it before so lets see how well I can do with this.

Only modifications that are 100% must haves are:

1. HID conversion (however I have to do that)
2. MP3/USB/Input headunit (looking for around 25 used...)
3. Upgrading all 6 speakers (found all of them for 20 bucks )
4. k&n Filter (FREE!) Just needs installed

Some maintenance is the A/C system is all new, intake manifold and head gaskets have been changed, along with the radiator. I have to still look through the receipts.

Sorry for the novel I'll update more later this week as I start to strip it to clean it and start adding little nice touches to it. Any suggestions please feel free to post and link them Free mods are always welcome

Old 07-19-2010, 01:17 AM
Starting Member
LunchBox is an unknown quantity at this point

Dude...that's actually a pretty cool looking little Blazer...maybe get rid of the goofy $#!t like the flaps and bug-slapper...but really, I kinda lke it.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Looks to be in pretty good condition, short of the few minor issues you listed. They are all mostly minor too.
I'd be willing to bet your door issue is the door pins. They're fairly common for going on these trucks. When the door is open, grab it and try and move it up and down. If there's any play in it then it's your door pins. Easy fix, just a pain to do as the door is fairly heavy.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I'd try replacing the factory bulbs first... they get dim with age. I don't think you can get HID's for your truck... but I could be wrong

put front flaps on, your rocker panels will thank you.

and diddo on the door pin.

Old 07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Beginning Member
Project_95_Blazer is on a distinguished road

looks like a cool project. keep us posted

Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

yeah dude thats pretty nice for free. Might want to rent a steam cleaner or pay a detail shop. If you pay the detail shop you will usually get a very good job done just ask them not to put the dressing allover the interior, its like oil. Try changing them door pins, I have a set for mine, just havent installed them yet and it was about 15 bucks for both pins, and all you need is pliers to get the old ones out. The bushings go in the holes, you might not see the old bushings cause they are gone.

Old 07-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by LunchBox
Dude...that's actually a pretty cool looking little Blazer...maybe get rid of the goofy $#!t like the flaps and bug-slapper...but really, I kinda lke it.
Thanks I will start to change somethings here shortly right now its down at a shop getting the tank changed

Originally Posted by Sisk
Looks to be in pretty good condition, short of the few minor issues you listed. They are all mostly minor too.
I'd be willing to bet your door issue is the door pins. They're fairly common for going on these trucks. When the door is open, grab it and try and move it up and down. If there's any play in it then it's your door pins. Easy fix, just a pain to do as the door is fairly heavy.
YUP! Door pin I figured it was but where can I find a new one? That door issue drives me insane!

Originally Posted by oktain
I'd try replacing the factory bulbs first... they get dim with age. I don't think you can get HID's for your truck... but I could be wrong

put front flaps on, your rocker panels will thank you.

and diddo on the door pin.
I thought these factory headlights are sealed so if a bulb goes bad you have to buy a new headlight not a bulb? I've seen some conversions for HID's on ebay but I'm leary of them.

what are the front flaps? like mudflaps u mean?

Originally Posted by Project_95_Blazer
looks like a cool project. keep us posted
Will do!

Originally Posted by ohsofly
yeah dude thats pretty nice for free. Might want to rent a steam cleaner or pay a detail shop. If you pay the detail shop you will usually get a very good job done just ask them not to put the dressing allover the interior, its like oil. Try changing them door pins, I have a set for mine, just havent installed them yet and it was about 15 bucks for both pins, and all you need is pliers to get the old ones out. The bushings go in the holes, you might not see the old bushings cause they are gone.
yeah bushings aren't there its just metal on metal. I can see the top pin is causing the issues but it almost looks like the place where the pin goes is even warped?

my friend owns a detail shop we were supposed to pull the interior this past week and hand scrub it all but some things came up with the truck and family.

But a little update

The truck went in for inspection/ emissions testing.

Things wrong with it is it will need

new windshield (duh )
new front brake pads/rotors (they are toast) (putting on new ones on friday)
gas leak found and fixed (found a used tank for 50 bucks were gonna do a smoke test and hopefully its good) unless I can find a new tank for real cheap?
oh and the rear drums just needed some rust scrapped off of them.

so after that it will be perfect enough to pass a PA inspection.

Tuesday its supposed to go testing for emissions/tank fix and I'll be able to drive it again cause since monday its been down cause of the leak and I can't drive it.

In funny news (to me) with the gas leak I still managed 15.4mpg city and the gas leak ate a 1/4 tank LOL

Old 07-21-2010, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Door pins should be available at any part store. To my knowledge they're not a dealer only part...

Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Beginning Member

thank freaking god! I have having to get dealer only parts

If know one noticed this is my first domestic ever so its a different world to me