Builds Whether you are building something new or rebuilding something old, post up your build threads here. Open to all projects!

How to: Double din build up in a 95 blazer

Old 07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Beginning Member
PyroCustoms is on a distinguished road
Exclamation How to: Double din build up in a 95 blazer

So i read all the other types of double din projects on s10 forums n what not but i didnt like how they moved the hvac so what did i do? decided to do a fiberglass build up to fit my double din in the original radio location so ill take everybody step by step on how i did this build up!

Step 1.
Take out the bezel surrounding the radio out easiest way shifter in first gear steering wheel all the way around and putting a little force in taking it out nothing but clips and 2 bolts on top of the gauges holding it in also took off all the plugs and put the bezel in the back as i didnt have it on for a week.

Step 2.
Remove the hvac four 7mm bolts holding it in to get the four screws holding in the radio. undid both unplugged the radio from the harness and that its for step 2

step 3.
put the hvac back on and grabbed a moving box laying around and cut it to size to fit inbetween the hvac and left side of the removed bezel snug to the gauges

step 4.
once it was cut to size i took the carboard out and cut my dash cage into the cardboard so it fit nice n snug.

step 5.
remove the cage from the cardboard as i wouldnt be using it anytime soon since it was time to begin the fiberglassing process. set up the "lab" as id like to call it lol in the garage with a bout 4 feet from the wall to the nearest car so had to keep the area clean tight squeeze but i managed

step 6.
waited for the fiberglass to dry laid a few more layers on it let them dry under my turtles heat lamp and some days put it outside or put a fan on it to help circulate and speed up the process which already took a few days but was well worth it

step 7.
as the fiberglass is drying you can take the time to start cutting out what you need to to make the double din slide back in. but be careful since there is a channel of ECM wires behind there waiting to be cut and ruin your day. put your cage up against the wall to see how much and where ur going to cut off. i just cut off the majority of the back square.

step 7.
as the fiberglass is drying you can take the time to start cutting out what you need to to make the double din slide back in. but be careful since there is a channel of ECM wires behind there waiting to be cut and ruin your day. put your cage up against the wall to see how much and where ur going to cut off. i just cut off the majority of the back square.

step 8.
once the fiberglass molding was dry it was time to line it back up with the radio section it was going to. and what happened? it bulked up and it was just a wee bit big from the fiberglass. so it was time to sand it down and get it back to fitting in nice and smooth again. (forgot pics here) also had to open the mouth of the fiberglass piece so that the cage would fit in once again.

step 9.
lined the mold back up and drilled the mounting holes to the original holes along with the clip for the bezel. to make sure fitting would be any problem i put the bezel back on and it was a good fit. also painted it a crap walmart satin black paint inside of walmart lol went cheap skate on it and didnt spend 4 dollars on the can.

step 10.
wired up the double din slid it into the cage bolted it up and tested it to make sure it worked.

step 11. screwed the fiberglass piece with the radio inside and put the bezel back in and enjoyed!

sub in also now got 4 15s only threw one in for now trying to get things situated with the door speakers

*i know its a little crooked but i was so excited that i got it done that thats for another day when i repaint it and get it 100% done right now its like 90 to 92% done* but i still love it! hope you guys enjoy

also a warning! girls dont like the smell of fiberglass lol so keep the wives/girlfriends in the house while doing this!

Last edited by PyroCustoms; 07-07-2009 at 09:53 PM. Reason: resize picture and add one
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member
mr.hotrod is on a distinguished road

lol wtf that last pic said BYE lol

Old 07-07-2009, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

Its my double din unit when u shut it off it says bye bye and when you turn it on you can make it say whatever i have it saying welcome bruce for batman lol.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks good!

Could you resize that one huge pic down to 640x480?

Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member

thanks man! i appreciate it alot, worked what i would call hard on it. pics adjusted.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 PM
vinny2207 is on a distinguished road

nice job! Post up some pics once its all done, I'd like to see it. I just finished up my body work tonight and the next project will be putting a double din in.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:11 PM
Beginning Member

for right now its gonna stay like that for a few weeks. i guess i shouldnt of put it in a build since for now its technically done. im still wondering how im gonna build it out to fit flush with the ac. i think its gonna have to stay back like that. im still extremely happy with it.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:24 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Looks good!

As far as being flush with the A/C, you could take it back out and layer more fiberglass on top of the existing until you get enough for a flush fit. Might be a little time consuming, but I bet it'd look damn good!

Old 07-08-2009, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member

thanks man!

i was thinking that but id only have to do it on the parts that are showing if not it will be too big for the mounting/bezel and just wouldnt come out right. other than that i was thinking a piece of foam over whats not flush with like 2 layers of glass around it and try that.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:43 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

That could work, the foam might shrink up once the fiberglass is applied though. It's worth a shot!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to: Double din build up in a 95 blazer